Running I/O's in the winter

Tripleduece50

Lets here from you guys that run their I/O's during the winter. What do you do to prevent any freeze damage? I have a 3.0 I/O that I am running a 9.9 kicker on. If I was to only use my kicker on the water would or could their be any water in my main motor if I never ran it just had the out drive down for steering purposes?

TD

it,s a big risk...not recomended...make a check list..stick to it ... lower unites,,when you come out of the water must be put in the down position..to let any water out ...any livewell ports must be closed...not sure about your engine water

:yes: check list... or say good by :no:

kicker yes

lower unit...when you put in and out... it my go under

I haven't got my outdrive back together yet to run it in the winter, but I can't see any way the water can make it into the engine unless you start it.

Something I would probably do though is put an extra gallon of winterizer in the engine and turn it over a little bit just to take care of any water that comes in the exhaust.

It's actually pretty simple. Water has to come in the intake by suction created by the water pump. Then is pumped into the engine and out the top of the manifolds into the exhaust. If there is no suction, the water won't get up to the water pump. The air that is in the outdrive between the water pump and intake holes would provide pressure against it i would assume. And unless the back of your boat goes under water, I don't see it making it's way up the exhaust to the manifolds. Most of the water that does get in the exhaust drains out when you pull the boat out. But I personally would turn it over with the winterizer just to make sure.

my 2 cents.... :thinking:

Ive done it for 6 years .like said after pulling out lower outdrive,open engine petcock,and intake/exaust plug,and exaust drain plug if you have the older style,remove large hose end from thermostate housing ,wait till moter is drained pour in 1/2 gal antifreeze(r/v non toxic) .....make shure manifold actually drained as sometimes rust will plug hole if it doesnt poke a small screwdriver in hole and work rust free...I usually install plugs at this time ,or ya can wait till ya get home ............................dont forget to raise the outdrive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! total time =about 2 min ..............now for the unmentioned item always carry in truck a 10 lbbag of rocksalt,long handle shovel,and tow rope....sometimes the ramp has ice or stacked up weeds................

Dear Triple D,

Immersing an outdrive during WINTER (32 & below) requires draining and winterizing as Ray K. explained and IMMEDIATELY after removal from the water! There are areas in the drive unit that hold puddles of water. Sometimes these areas get plugged and won't self drain. These outdrive units are VERY expensive to replace or repair. You are GAMBLING BIG TIME with this idea. I fix one or two every spring and the customers are very unhappy with the parts cost! Even had one that busted the gimbal housing. It isn't worth the gamble.

Respectfully submitted, Jet Boat Bill

Another thing to keep in mind concerning winter fishing and boat type is trailer maneuvering and safety. Bigger, heavier boats can become a liability on the road and at the launch under poor conditions. I am a former tractor trailer operator with a lifetime of experiences with many different types of heavy equipment in poor weather conditions and quite frankly I would rather not share the road with people hauling boat/trailer combos that are really beyond their capability to safely control under conditions that they are just not used to. The look of terror on an average persons face when a trailer fishtails around their vehicle and heads towards mine is not the last thing I want to see in this world.

Please use sound judgment when considering whether your boat is a good fit for winter fishing. There is a lot more to think about than how easy it is to drain the engine.

Wintertime boat operation can best be observed at the Lewiston Boat Ramp on the lower Niagara River. You will see boats up to 21 footers with 225 HP outboards running in below freezing temperatures all winter long when the river water is clear. When hauled out, outboards are trimmed down and kicked over to drain them and the next day they are back out on the river. I have never seen I/O's there in the winter. It really is amazing to watch the aluminum boats bouncing off the icebergs. What you really see is a lot of rainbows, browns and lake trout being brought in by some "die hard" types of fishermen.

Good Ol' Lewiston.

I fished this time of year there last year for the first time. I patiently waited in line for my turn (2 wheel drive minivan and 16 foot boat). In the mean time this bozo in a 1 ton decked out diesel 4 wheel drive whips his rig to the non salted area of the ramp. Dips his boat and spent the next 5 minutes slowly smokin' through the ice inching his way up the ramp. Driving past him in the minivan, well PRICELESS!!