Leadcore Question ?

I'm not totally sure but, should I expect 5-6' of sink per 10 yards from a 27 lb. core rig. Planning on cutting it for boards and running 1 six color and 1 four color. 30' and 20' respectively ? Any suggestions from you hardcore lead men. Will it fit on a 27 Sealine with 200 yards of 20 lb. powerpro behind it. Looking to expand my spring spread outward

Thanks,

Steve 8)

I guess it depends on what your after,most any fish you get on lead 100 yds will do for backing,,,maybe some of those fall kings might give you a big run , but very few fish ive caught get out more than 300 ft with 15 or 20 lb test with proper drag setting ,if you get a 15 to 20 lb king (best fighters) ya might be sweating a little just back down the throttle to 1 mph ... if ya already have the reels just spool one with leader,lead,then backing till full then transfer to empty reel in reverse,keep track of amount of backing and match for next.. 27 is kinda small but i have okuma 20's for 7 years for reg. fishing but when the derby is on the bigger reels are a good inshurance policy for that extra line and drag capisity......just in case .................................

Steve...only expect about 4 to 5 feet per color (10 yds...30 feet) at about 2.3 to 2.5 mph....Leadcore will sink deeper per color (10 yds)at slower speeds.....speed will have a great effect on your sink rate per color (10 yds).....good luck.....choo-choo

Steve,

I fish core all year and love it.

1.) I agree that the sink rate is closer to 4' per color, but remember the more core you have out, and depending on lure, speed and current, the less the sink rate becomes (I estimate that a full ten colors is only down around 35' or so).

2.) Not sure on reel capacity on a 27 Sealine, but I have between 3 and seven colors on my 30D Convectors and a full ten color on a 45D Convector. All reels have 250-300 yds. of 50# Powerpro backing and 50-75' of 20# Seaguar Leader Fluoro

3.) I fish these on in-line planers exclusively and run the deepest core farthest from the boat and the shallowest core nearest to the boat when I run two per side (I know this is "reverse" from what the experts say, but it's what works best for me). I attach my in-line to the PP backing - not the Dacron of the lead core - and wrap a rubberband around the line and release so the board doesn't slip when a fish hits. Then we just reel up to the board, break the rubberband and keep reeling in the fish.

4.) We catch a lot of bonus fish on core - many high kings and steelhead this way, and it's usually our best presentation for fishing in the early Spring when fish are boat shy.

5.) I'd like to experiment this year with a 20 color core with a Cuda Torpedo diver to see if we can target some of the deep kings over the summer....we'll see

Good luck - keep it simple,

- Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve (lund)...just looking back on your leadcore question...do not use only 20 lb backing for your leadcore...use 40 lb or heavier ...backing should be heavier than your leadcore line(27lb)and your leader. If you are using a 20 lb leader , and 20 lb backing ,and you run all your leadcore out with several passes into your backing ,and you snag your lure,your backing could snap instead of your leader...resulting in loss of your entire leadcore!!!! Go heavier on your backing...choo-choo