Copper line kink

IM NOT SHURE IVE NEVER KINKED COPPER BEFORE.

:lol: ,

,if its not too bad or you streighten carefully you can slide or run the copper across a round surface (I use my handrail quite often ) then carefully give it the oll pull test for strength test....................now yer starting to understand why guys with no patience dont use copper......... :lol: Sorry cant help on the knot thing but my 600 ft rig is now 540 ft

It happens to everyone Ray.... :lol: . When my friends get kinks or frays in their copper (it never happens to me :o ) they simply cut it and do two haywire twists over each other. Does that make sense? If not, try making a small loop with a haywire twist. Thread the other piece through the loop and then do another haywire twist going back the other way. Its MUCH easier to do than to explain. ;)

As Paul said two haywire twists back to back will do the job! Unfortunatly I've done this a bit. One othe thing I do when ever I have that double haywire on the reel is coat the "knot" with UV wader repair or UV knot sense. I put it on and coat the "knot" in the shade it then hardens in direct sunlight in less than a min. This helps save the guides on your rod and it also helps keeping the sharp ends from cutting your fingers ;)

Hey Greg! How's that Wellcraft treating you?

Not sure what you are using for a copper rod, but I have a splice in mine with no issues. I'm using a leadcore rod, which has slightly larger stainless eyes. Twist it tight. I've also heard on some putting heat shrink over the knots, but I haven't found that necessary.

The boat is great Jim, thanks for asking. It works well with 5 on board. Just wish I had more hours on it this Spring, but with school out soon we'll have more family outings. This winter I picked up a copper setup from ATomik including the rod. I had it out 600 down the chute and too tight a turn is what I think let a dipsey out 260 catch it in the middle. Each night I'm working on the tangle for 15 minutes. Haven't cut the copper yet, but we may have to. As mentioned above, need patience, but that's part of fishing right?

Greg

If you've already come to the cut and Haywire twist method than at least put a small piece of heat shrink on the knot and it will "slip" through the guides a lot cleaner. Every auto parts store has it and it comes in a bunch of colors. I'm lucky my 400' had a MAJOR backlash from a first timer just dumping it out last year.

Steve

Thanks for the tip on the wrap Steve and for reminding me that we are essentially first-timers :o ....as much as I want to have more than 2 riggers and 2 dipseys out, I have to remember that when the kids get to try some driving they need to keep the boat STRAIGHT.

We've had the dipseys at 2-2.5 most of the time.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Patience is virtue....spent 10-15 minutes most nights picking away at the mess and straightening the kinks and happily finished rewinding the 325 foot tangle. Like the old St. Pauliegirl add...you never forget your first copper tangle. :)

Greg

I had not tangled my coppers in 3 seasons unit last August. I ended up with 2 coppers and 1 wire diver in a cluster F..k. If I cut and did back to back haywire twists, I would have had 2-50' coppers. Unfortunatly I had to buy 2 new spools of copper and replace them.