How to get chasing fish to hit?

This past weekend at the bar, I had numerous fish that would come up off the bottom, up to my lure (~50ft delta) follow for a few seconds, then not hit.

This happened so many times it was sickening.

What have you guys done in the past to get these fish to hit?

Nick

Same problem at the bar in early May. Friend told me to try turning hard when that was hapening and it worked. First couple times it felt stupid but became alot less concerned about what we looked like when we were fighting fish. Probably 90% of my fish up there came on either gradual turns or sharp turns when they were streaking to the lure. Cohos on the outside and kings on the insides.

Good Luck.

Nick,

You might also want to try a neutral drop. Dropping the boat out of gear for a second or two might impart enough of a change in the action of your lure to cause the fish to hit. Works well for us, as does the suggestion to make turns.

Definitely pop the rigger if you ever start to get frustrated. Amazing how many fish I've caught that way over the years. I never raise the rigger to release line when changing lures, checking for seaweed or calling it a day. Love Blacks for that very reason :!: :!:

tip: pop the rod then put it in back in rod holder immediately, then raise rigger. This gives lure a little time to flutter down, then come up. Even a little one will give you a jolt. :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Were you using scent? The fish might be interested, but if they don't smell right they may turn away . Gas , tobbacco, soaps etc. won't get you bit!!

How far behind the ball were you running?

If your leads are long, the fish are coming up, looking at the weight, and headed away before the lure arrives. I have had good luck with real short leads when this is happening.

Guest ReelDiel

i agree with popping the rod...this works so well at the bar in the spring its crazy. if they dont hit its a little more work but when you feel a 15-24lb king crush a lure while your holding the rod...AWESOME! if you r feeling a little lazy that day bring your rigger up 10-15' and then back down. This works great with scotty's due to the speed and the free fall. if they hit on the rise be ready to reel your butt off to make up that slack in the line. You will lose some due to hook sets but better then watching them on the graph. ;)

all great info guys!

Those days I tried speeding up, slowing down, changing lures, changing setbacks (although I never went shorter than 15'.. might need to try). I didn't try popping the rod as normally I'm a lazy fisherman :) A few great ideas here though that I'll have to try in the coming months!

Nick