fishing coppers & dypsys togather

Last couple of years the blend of my setups of dypsys and coppers. If coppers are working dypsy bite turns off. pull the coppers out of the water dypsy bite comes back. Is there to much interfernce between one or the other.

I am a firm believer in the view of the spread has a lot to do with your success. Like Capt. Vince says " everything matters", for example the flashers/flies on the divers may be pulling fish away from the higher copper lines. How far back and how deep the dipsys and copper is running in relation to each other and the downrigs lines matters! I once saw some really cool underwater footage on In-Fisherman tv, where a diver was filming from a position deep under the water looking up at trolling rigs passing by. What I got from the footage was fish first see the downrig lures and orient themselves with the boat and start swimming in the direction the boat is traveling. Even fish deeper than the downrig lines, they slowly tracked them at a distance. These fish that are too far away to make a move on the downrig lines are the ones that you are targeting with the junk lines brining up the rear. It is important to know the whole picture. Ideally, you would want divers at AND below downrig lines. Copper, has been disputed about the actual depth it runs on a straight line troll, but from what the group that put out the "precision depth trolling guide" book dispute the 20' down for each 100' of copper......feeling the copper has a dimished return over length so by the time you get to 400', there is not much difference in depth achieved compared to 500' and 600'. In other words we are fishing higher with copper than we thought. Not a big deal, because fish come from "out of temp" all the time. But sometimes they are only biting in their preffered temps.......deeper than your copper is running. Maybe, in the middle of your troll you hit a band of higher cool water and now the copper starts hiting again. It is probably best to let the fish determine what they want.

More like 50' on a straight-no turn 2.5-3 mph troll. When you stall on a turn, the stuff drops quick and you will get zebra mussels on you lure in 100'.

Gill,

Are you saying after 400 feet out on copper the lure is only going to hover at 80 feet or so? I would like some other opinions or test facts to get a true idea on that.

Greg

Greg,I'm far from an expert and I don't want to start a controversy but, my experiences w/ my 400' copper tell me that 2.5 gps speed it runs at around 80' down w/ a DW reg size spoon and a bit less w/ an 8" spinnie/fly. My 600' copper picks up Zs in less than 100 FOW (have not pinned it down any closer than that & not planning too either).-Andy

I agree with the above comments, in that I would not deploy 400' of copper in 50' FOW, but would not hesitate in 100'. The methods used in the dive curve for the precision trolling guides were done on an inland lake with no currents, using a straight troll. There are huge variables not counted in the study that we experience in Lake O. NOBODY trolls in a straight line, so every time you make a waggle, copper on side you are turning towards, will drop. Take your copper down to the school football field and let it all out and see how frigin' long 400' is. Lots of variables working against it's length in Lake O. The variablility, rise and fall is probably what makes it effective.