"burping" lakers

lay them on there back in one hand then use other hand to gently push from the rectum foward,several light times works better than one hard push. then send them to the bottom torpedo style. this only has to be done for the ones that come from the 70 ft. range or below.

hold on left shoulder and gently pat on the back. .

a old timer showed me just the oppisite of sorta going from the head back, he explained the reason they cant expell air is the throught is forced shut from excessive air bladder pressure and when you push the bladder back it releaves the pressure and a small amount of air releases each time then do the tail forward gently to finish off if needed ...ive done this once or twice in the last 15 years with great sucess...or their wouldnt be any lakers left in seneca lake ;)

If you have an idea they won't be a keeper then bring them up slowly and they won't get airbound. Also-- don't even net the throwbacks just reach over the side with a pair of pliers and shake the hook out. We usually catch(and release most) a couple hundred trout a year and havn't had a "floater" in many years. Other than bringing them up too fast so they get airbound, the netting , handling and time out of the water is what kills the majority of lakers---they're pretty fragile critters.

If you have an idea they won't be a keeper then bring them up slowly and they won't get airbound. Also-- don't even net the throwbacks just reach over the side with a pair of pliers and shake the hook out. We usually catch(and release most) a couple hundred trout a year and havn't had a "floater" in many years. Other than bringing them up too fast so they get airbound, the netting , handling and time out of the water is what kills the majority of lakers---they're pretty fragile critters.

When I dont put them in the boat and just unhook then while in the water, they take right off. I only put them in the boat during derbys or if its a monster for a pic. then I head first torpedo them. works pretty well.

RR

like they said, i burp my fish even from med depths. i actually burped a 7 lb laker sunday. had to turn twice to get him but spent 20 min and he took off down deep once i got him burped good. good release. id watch out with browns, and if you ever wanna release a brown, dont gill it!!!!!!!

nick :)