Dipsy Diver Rod Holders

I am just staring out and need to upgrade my plastic Cannon rod holders to more durable rod holders. I was going to go with the standard tube style aluminum rod holder until I found the rod holders pictured below. They are advertised as specifically designed and made for dipsy divers rods.... all you do is lift up and pull out when a fish strikes... Has anyone used them or similiar rod holder? Are they as slick as the manufacturer says?

The theory makes sense, but would like to get some feedback before making the commitment since they cost substantially more than the tube style.

pZxvJ.jpg

The tube style rod holders are easier to get the rod out of. The rod butt will get stuck in the back part of the rod holder if a fish has pressure on the rod. I run the Big Jon singles in Bert's tracks and love them.

I'm not familiar w/ these particular units but, I do have a word of advice to you & anybody else out there who is getting into trolling; - Although it seems difficult, it is highly advisable to try to look at all the things you may want to ask your boat to do in terms of downriggers,dipsy rod holders, planer rod holders, etc. Then look at the track systems available like http://www.teclausa.com/bert/ or http://www.traxstech.com/ there are others too but, these two are interchangeable. If you start out w/ enough track on either side of the boat, you will be able to make many changes over time that will allow you to accommodate different configurations of equipment as you change what you want. -Andy

Good point Gambler. The butt of the rod is currently getting stuck in my plastic Cannon rod holders and causing all kinds of problems. I'll go with the tube style.

Unfortunately the I don't have much room for track system Chowder. That will have to wait until I get a bigger boat.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Check out the track systems, the track lenghts vary and there are solutions out there for all types of set-ups. A picture where you want to mount the holders will enable members to give you some guidance. I use Berts and love them. They move as you take the rods out and are strong. Note the rod holder in the center and there are different sized tracks

rAl4r.jpg

Good point Gambler. The butt of the rod is currently getting stuck in my plastic Cannon rod holders and causing all kinds of problems. I'll go with the tube style.

Unfortunately the I don't have much room for track system Chowder. That will have to wait until I get a bigger boat.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Just thought I'd mention I have a track system in my little 16' Alumacraft. I can run 4 riggers, 4 dipsies and up to 6 planer rods off big boards using this setup. I don't typically run this many rods on my little boat, but my point is that the tracks give you that kind of flexibility.Remember; think twice, measure twice, drill once!

I switched my dipsey rod holders to Scotty holders. Very similiar to a downeaster rod holder... It is plastic and the rod and reel sit in the holder sweet... When you get a rip you grab the rod and just lift it slowly up out of the holder..The rod holder just opens right up and you play the fish... I think it cost be $35 each... I love them rod holders........ Dale

I've used most rod holders and in my humble opinion nothing compares to the berts ratchet rod holders. We use the big jons for our planer lines and the berts for our wire setups. There is no problem at all getting the rod out of the holder when a fish strikes. Just grab the rod and pull it towards you and it comes right out. Last I knew they went for about $80 a piece and worth every penny.