Preferred Temp for Kings? What is your range?

I'm somewhat new to the Lake O fishing and I'm steadily learning new techniques thanks to this forum. What is prferred temp range for big Kings? I always keep my Depthraider between 50-52 degrees. I'm I missing colder fishing? I have heard 44-54 is a good range. Do big fish hold in colder water?

Depends on the season...

Spring, I like water as cold as 39. Good dense water and lethargic Kings will hang out there until you drop a spin doc in their face.

Summer, if I can find 41 - 45, that's where I'd like to be, but fish will be in warmer water than that if there is bait around.

Fall: ALL over the place. Big Kings like to stay in the 41 to 43 range until they absolutely have to, but you will also find mature Kings in various stages of the "run" and quite often can be found in water upwards of 55 to 60 degrees when staging near their natal streams.

Keep one rigger deep and cold (mid 40s is fine). These almost always get kings, though with somewhat less action on many days. Soon enough they will be running and won't care what the temp is. Kings like the coldest water of all of them in my experience.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I don't think The importance of temp is as critical as some may think. Bait, water clarity, how the water is( "green" or gin clear), current , & time of year are factor just as important. This time of year and moving forward the next few weeks ,temp becomes less important for kings IMO.

I have always parked my "cold riger" at 47-49 and always found fish there. I am learning something new by some fishing at 42. WOW that is cold to me but I guess the kings like it. If these guys say so then go with it. They all know what they are talking about. I will try colder water my self. :clap:

We usually try to put our high rigger in 50-55 and low rigger in 45-50. If I start hitting lakers, I know I'm too cold (or too slow). If I'm hitting dinks, I know I'm too high.

However, this isn't a golden rule as fish tend to hit where fish want to hit. If I'm marking hooks on my fishfinder... that's where the lures go.

Nick