Force Motors

dewey123

I have a few questions about these motors.

#1 How do you like these motors?

#2 Any major problems to look for or specially maintain?

It is a 50 hp 2 stroke 1989 motor on a 17 1/2 ft blue fin spectrum 1706 aluminum boat. I have heard alot of good things about the boat but mixed reveiws on the motor. I noticed with the boat in neutral it goes to a higher rev (compared to idling with it in gear) is this comon in force motors..or outboard motors in general? I also now have to bypass the killswitch because i dont have a lanyard/killswitch key to hold the button down. I am going to buy a repair manual for it.

How fast will a 50 hp motor push a boat like this...it feel like i am going pretty good and the speedo real 26 but at one point it was about 31 at full throttle not too reliable i know....maybe i will bring my gps next time to get a speed. Thanks for any input.

My brother has an 18' Bayliner Capri bowrider with a 2-stroke Force 125. I believe it is a 1992. He has had zero problems with that engine. I helped him replace his water pump impeller this year, but other than that, regular maintenance and proper winterization, his engine has never let him down. I'd compare it to my old boat's Evinrude 75 "Stinger" engine, which was an incredible, dependable & extremely reliable outboard. I can't comment of your other questions, but while I have also heard mixed reviews on the Force outboards, from experience, I'd say you can't go wrong with them.

Force was the old Chrysler brand. Then Merc took them over. Their technology is old and Merc dropped them before investing in bringing them up to date. Some folks loved them, and some folks hated them. I imagine if it was taken care of, it may be okay. Personally if I was buying it, I wouldn't put much value on the motor. Parts are getting scarce and it wouldn't be worth investing much money in repairs. Any repair more than a couple hundred, you should dump it and repower. Who knows though, that motor might last you 5 or 10 years. I think 25 to 30 MPH is about right.

The Chrysler outboards were great.When Mercury bought Bayliner and force as a package they treated the Force outboards as an unwanted stepchild.For a while they tried to sell them as an economy priced mercury.A lot of technology that was not good enough for mercury engines ended up in the Force units and it was downhill from there.

The late eighties and very early nineties Force engines are fine,beyond that......

Just think of the 5 cylinder 150 horse Force with the broken crank shafts and the frisbie flywheels.

i did hear that about mercury buy force and mix matching parts and when the parts ran out they stopped making the force engines. the engine I have is an 89. It is running like a top now but i know it can all end in a heartbeat...i know from experience with my dads boat and then getting towed back.

The 150 force was created after Bayliner bought out Chrysler and created US marine. When Brunswick bought out Bayliner and the rest of the boat companies they got Force and did some upgrades to the motors that were the most feasible. They did not want to put a lot of money into 1970's technology especially as the EPA mandates were coming and 2 strokes were going to be phased out. If it works good run it but at some point you will need to re-power due to parts availability etc. 26-30 will be your speed range.

Just to add to the last few posts that are dead on, I had a very experienced mechanic explain to me why those outboards are particularly bad in cold temps. It has to do with the lean/rich capabilities and lubrication. Should you end up with one of these, even blown they have a cash value as many of the parts are useable in Merc of the same vintage.