Deer observation and moon phase

Gator, no doubt about the credentials Charles Alshiemer accumulated over the years with his lifelong obsession and work. My thoughts are more along the line of not taking his word as gospel. There is always a wrench in the works somewhere when it comes to hunting whitetails. It is a game of odds like no other. Getting tree time is the best way to beat those odds. Your odds go up when the bucks are comfortable moving. That is most times in colder temps.. When locked down it is all about the doe. If she lays up he lays up. Temperature plays a part in her movement as well. And nine times out of ten that doe will keep that buck from trouble. She lets him know when its time to ride. 50 degrees 30 or 70 she will stand for him.

Predictions are fine to know, but we already know that is can happen at any time. As Legacy says it could be as simple as matching time of year and ideal conditions. Or it could be as you put it "hope to stupid into a horny buck." That is the case more times than not, regardless of what some will have you believe. As long as you are in the neighborhood during their time you have a chance. It is up to them to come out and play.

Lots of good thoughts in this thread...I wish I could make myself keep better records, both as regards hunting and fishing, but given my job as a PI at UofR it would make recreation seem too much like work. I certainly recognize the value of having a database like that, though. And applaud those like Rob who make it happen :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel bad that I am getting in late on this one!!

Tony and all the guys, one thing that Ray forgot to mention is that he has a "rut-detection" advantage over most of us. You see the average American Male is 5'10" tall give or take 2-3" this would put most of our noses 30-40" away from the #1 rut triggering organ on the female deer! Ray's nose on the other hand is only 3-4" from the natural level of this organ, combine this with the amount of nose hair and sheer volume to collect and hold scent for his olfactory gland to process and you have one heck of a "rut-detecting machine"..........FAR BE IT FROM ME to disagree with Ray on this one. You do not need a Biology degree to know that the extreme front and back of the deer are the most important organ systems in both signaling and detecting the rut!

Great thread Vince, the only thing I can say is that I would have done better in Vegas than picking a peak time this year. It may be that the deer were moving mid-day, 'cause I hunted many mornings and evenings and did not see the #'s I usually do.

man running late ss yer giving my secrets.. but their is one problem for me to smell at that hight every time i jump that high i spook the deer..Im trying to patent a snorkle devise so i dont need to jump..that doesnt interfier with my sights.

I think its the post rut now acording to the wife its about this time of year she gets real mean about my hunting addiction....Ive got a couple folks who could use some meat maybe this year ill use my doe tag, and take a smaller buck too naaaaaaaaaaaa..

the cold will put the deer in very predictable areas..which is good now that ive lost my sent advantage.