MAG 20DT WITH HUMMINBIRD FF

I run my current Mag 20 DT TS riggers with my Humminbird 1157c and the system works quite well. You'll also need to purchase the Cannonlink accessory to be able to network them together. Just a quick heads up about the Mag 20 - you won't be able to find themin the future unless you've found a closeout or some used ones - Cannon has replaced the Mag 20 with the DigiTroll 5 for 2011.

www.cannondownriggers.com

Thanks for the feedback once again Billy V, I think I will close the deal on the MAG 20 DT's soon at a more reasonable price than the latest version. The new models sure are sweet looking though!

Sent you a PM Traveling Man re the HB 958. Best purchase I have made in awhile, awesome capabilities and very easy to use.

Come on Spring!

shakenbake, how do you like that 958? Its on my short list for a ff.

We ran one in 2010 and were very pleased with the performance. That was our bridge unit FF/GPS, and an 115 was our cabin unit. The 958 will now be used as just a GPS on the Trojan. I love the ease of use on these Humminbird units. It marks fish and bait well.

I tried to use two Mag 20's with a cannonlink to a HB 778c last season and kept having malfunctions. The cannonlink info did not match the HB info and resulted in equipment loss on several occasions. My season had to end early Sept. and HB replaced the cannonlink. I'll find out in springtime if I just had a faulty cannonlink, as that will be my first opportunity to test it out. Bottom Track didn't function properly- HB depth, downrigger view depth of ball, and downrigger view setting depth icon all showed different numbers. I finally stopped fishing when I lost another weight and tackle with the screen showing the ball tracking 3 ft above bottom, flat bottom, and a hang-up resulting in separation. The downrigger view icon showed the ball depth set at 1/2 distance to bottom while the screen view showed the ball tracking 3 ft above bottom. Faulty electronic information sharing or stupid operator? Hoping for better results in the spring.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Only posted my experience with this equipment because of the original question looking for information about this system. I still like the potential of this equipment and think it could be extremely helpful. My first malfunction occurred the first time I used it during an orientation excursion in the spring. It happened sporadically after that, each instance resulting in lost trips while I waited for replacements.

Cannon and Huminbird both were very cooperative and helpful. But each malfunction resulted in weeks of interruption while the problems were checked out and units were shipped back and forth under warranty. Lost equipment/tackle and shipping charges were at my expense, but both stood behing their product and replaced malfunctioning units/parts when appropriate.

I'm eagerly awaiting spring to see if the new cannonlink can coordinate with the Mag 20s properly. If it does, I'll be very happy! Whatever happens, I will post the results here in the spring for all interested parties.