VHF radio fades out

High Bidder

My radio fades when I transmit. It starts out clear and loud for about 5 seconds then fades so that no one can hear me anymore. I don't have a problem hearing other people. Do you think its my radio or antenna? The radio is an Icom and is about four years old. The antenna is a 8' fiberglass and is of unknown vintage as it came with my boat. I always set the antenna vertical for maximum range. Also which is a better antenna to buy if I replace it? There are two very different price ranges in antennas I noticed. I installed a metal antenna mount on my boat this fall. Will this make a difference on the type of antenna I intall?

High Bidder

A good share of VHS radio transmission problem's are usually related to the primary wiring itself. The radio will draw between 5 and 7 amps in transmit mode and only around .05 in receive mode. That being said check how you have it wired in to the power supply. Is it tied into a fuse block or buss block with other accesorys running off of it and if so what gauge wire is supplying it? Ideally you should have a dedicated, fused, at very minimum 12/2g (10/2g) is better line directly from the battery to the radio. I would check that before spending unneeded dollars on something that's not really needed.

I'm glad you mentioned that power supply might be a issue. Last year when the problem started I removed all other accessories from the fuse block in the overhead compartment so I thought there would be more power available for the radio. But in order to do that I had to install an additional fuse bock under the dash. The power feeds to the fuse blocks under the dash then to the overhead compartment. I have 10 gauge wire going to all fuse blocks but due to resistance the radio (at trolling idle) registers low voltage. Although it did that for years and worked okay. I will try running a direct supply line to the overhead compartment and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you

High Bidder

when my radio reads low v my main battery is a tad from almost not starting ,happens with trollin moter at low speeds for extended time.. like hank mentioned ill vote power issues too.

sometimes wire in crimp conn. or nuts will break down get brittle and not conduct full power too. even main plug could be corroding

Your radio installation instructions usually say to feed the radio with a fuse near the battery with a ten gauge wire direct. You need this heavy wire to keep the capacitors charged up during transmitting. 12 volts is actually pretty weak pushing the amperage needed for a radiio.

• 2 weeks later...