Batteries

Yankee Troller

Just looking for some suggestions on how some of you guys with dual engines run your batteries. I understand there is a battery for each engine. I'd like to have 2 additional batteries for my riggers and electronics. Kind of split up the duties a little with all the accessories. I plan on hooking up an on-board charger that will charge the accessory batteries while the engine(s) are running. Of course there would be a battery charger while hooked up to shore power to freshen up the batteries in between outings. One of my questions is do any of these batteries need to be in series?

Rich don't put batteries in series unless you want to run something or charge with 24 volts or higher.

Parallel for all things 12 volts.

Mark

Ps...while you are trolling the alternaters should do enough to charge the batteries. The on board charger should hook up to shore power to keep them up.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Yankee, I've only ever run two. Always made sure they are heavier then required. Only problem I've ever found is onboard chargers cooking the water out, even the auto ones. Just cooked a set last season, new set this spring and I will be very selective when I hookup charger. good luck

Y-T, I had three batteries,one for the four riggers and electronics,other two were starters. But the bilge pumps ran off one of the starter bat. If the boat sat at the dock all week and the stuffing box was leaking to much water the pumps would kill one bat. I kept jumper cables on board to jump start that engine.It just a reminder to keep up the maintenance . :)

One of my summer neighbors at Cayuga has a solar charger that has been on the boat for 7 years....The batteries were installed same day as the charger and are still going strong....He never takes the batteries out in the winter and last spring after 7 years....she cranked right up

OK, seems like there is only room for 3 batteries in my battery box anyway. The Rochester Trojan fleet is running 3 with no problems. I'm gonna have to see how they have them set up.

I took one of mine out Rick and only run two now. I had issues with the 3. Its MUCH better now. Of course, with all the crap you're putting on that boat you'll probably need 5 or 6. Heck, your "underwater mood lighting" should have its own battery! You wouldn't want to run short there and "kill the mood". :lol:

OK, seems like there is only room for 3 batteries in my battery box anyway. The Rochester Trojan fleet is running 3 with no problems. I'm gonna have to see how they have them set up.

I took one of mine out Rick and only run two now. I had issues with the 3. Its MUCH better now. Of course, with all the crap you're putting on that boat you'll probably need 5 or 6. Heck, your "underwater mood lighting" should have its own battery! You wouldn't want to run short there and "kill the mood". :lol:

Absolutely not! 6 batteries huh? If it has to be then it has to be! I can always count on you buddy!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Rick, i imagine with that size boat you should have space in that engine compartment to wire up more batteries? Even if its not in the "battery box", you could just get the boxes from anyplace, and wire them in, especially if your boat will be running DC fridges and all of your electronics...head and what-not? I know, at one point, my sea ray had three batteries in it. I too face the issue with boiling the water out of them... My new trophy has only two batteries, but im thinking i might have to add one for the kicker motor?

Seriously Rick....you only need two. I run my riggers, electronics, radar, downstairs fridge, washdown and everything else and never have a battery issue. Just make sure that whatever motor you're running off is charging BOTH batteries. A simple battery switch fixed all my issues. Don't know why Trojan didn't make them standard years ago. Save your generator to power your mood lighting!

No genny on this ride bro. According to Bob Buck that will get me an extra....10 or 15mph. :rofl::rofl::lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

There won't be a genny on mine much longer. I never use it and the 600 pounds in the back of the boat doesn't help much when I'm trying to keep up with Buck.

I don't know what RPM's he runs his boat at but Bob's boat is scary fast for a 10M. Maybe he has some super secret turbo booster or something.

Without a genny you definitely won't need more than two batteries. Just check your wiring and make sure your alternators have good output and you're charging both while trolling.