Humminbird 597??

711skwerlz

Looking for a new Fishfinder or combo unit. I'm currently running a Hbird 565 and a handheld GPS. Has anyone tried the 597. Looking for a mid range(price) combo unit, color screen. This unit is on sale at cabelas right now for $499. Any suggestions?

I have the 595c combo. I haven't really decided if I like it or not.Last year I put in a 101 Terrova bow mount and put the 3 batteries towards the front of the boat.I had the transducer on the corner of the boat,to keep it away from the motors.Know I have been losing bottom when it gets choppy out, from the transducer coming out of the water. Then my friend that fishes with me sometimes is always playing with the settings.Last time out a couple of weeks ago I reset the defaults and it seamed better.I was fishing the Niagara and it didn't show the border on the base map.I found that disappointing.Even my handheld Garmin GPS. I use to use had that on it.I plan on getting a chip for it but you would think they would have an international border on it.I remember reading posts on here a year or two ago about other people having trouble losing bottom with there Humminbirds.Maybe you can do a search and find those post.Sorry I couldn't be more help.I need to do some adjusting to my setup if it doesn't come around I will be looking for something else.But I am not ready to say it's a bad unit.

Sean,

You have to keep that transducer in the water all the time or you're going to lose bottom, no matter the brand of fish finder. I'd move it to a position that will allow the transducer to be in the water all the time and away from any cavitation bubbles - that's why lots of us have thru-hull transducers. That should help your performance a ton.

As far as the 597c goes, that's a decent unit for shallow water use although its a bit light on power for typical Lake Ontario trolling applications. You'll want to find a fish finder that has 500 watts RMS or 4,000 watts Peak-to-Peak power in order to get the bottom definition and target separation that we need out on the open lake. The 597c has only 300 watts RMS (2,400 p-p). A better choice would be the new 596c HD or a 788ci HD if you need a combo unit. Both of those units have 500 watts RMS. There was a batch of bad transducers from one of Humminbird's suppliers last year but that has been rectified.

Thanks Billy I talked to you a little bit about this at the lotsa show.I can get a thru-hull transducer for a aluminum hull correct ? I kind of figured it didn't have enough power for the big lake.Do the HD units you mentioned have better base maps?

I liked your 788 LB88 but im not interested in the down or side imaging options. they can add alot of money and in my opinion aren't much help doing what we do. Justin had a problem with the one I have now. After i bought the boat I changed the ducer And moved it. Now I get a rooster tail off it but has never cut out on me.

Humminbirds website claims The 597 ci HD has 4,000 watts peak to peak and 500 RMS.

Not sure what maps are compatible.

Sean,

Yes there are both plastic and stainless thru-hull transducers available. Humminbird offers a couple of plastic thru-hulls: http://store.humminbird.com/category/27 ... _Thru_Hull

You can find other options on the Airmar website: http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... s/P319.pdf.

Just be sure that you get a flushmount thru-hull or at the very least make sure that your trailer won't hit the fairing block.

711skwerlz - You're right, the 597ci HD is 4,000 watts peak to peak. But what Cabela's has on sale is not the HD version and is only 2,400 watts peak to peak. I should have been clearer in my previous post. You can find the info on the 597ci here: http://store.humminbird.com/products/399407/597ci_Combo

The maps you'll want are Navionics - specifically the Fish'n Chip. It shows 3' contours all along Lake Ontario and provides a lot of detail that you won't find on the base maps. If you're fishing the Finger Lakes you'll want to check out the Navionics HotMaps East.

Humminbird makes the 788 series in a traditional downward facing sonar option with none of the side or down imaging stuff: http://store.humminbird.com/products/41 ... i_HD_Combo

Thanks Billy I talked to you a little bit about this at the lotsa show.I can get a thru-hull transducer for a aluminum hull correct ? I kind of figured it didn't have enough power for the big lake.Do the HD units you mentioned have better base maps?

I don't think so not for aluminum!!! Unless they came out with some thing new !!!! That would be great because I have 2 788ci to install, that webste calls for a wooden or fiberglass hull.

Ed,

Look into a plastic thru-hull for your aluminum boat. You can't use bronze because the interaction between the aluminum and the bronze will eat away the aluminum hull and the bronze housing. The other problem with a thru-hull is trailering the boat.

Here's a great guide on how to choose a transducer for your particular application: http://www.si-tex.com/ChoosingaTransducer.pdf

I ordered the 798c SI is on its way .With the price of gas. I might be doing more Walleye fishing On the small lakes. I thought the side imaging may work well for running planer boards.Does anyone know what the Navionics Bundle that it comes with consists of.Thanks Sean

In reference to above mentioned "rooster tail" from the transducer bracket. Humminbird came out with a fix for that last year. It is a rubber block that is placed behind the adjusting bolt on the transducer. It was included with the hardware that came with my new unit. I know that last year Humminbird sent them out free if you called about that problem.

High Bidder