Live Bait

i got my bait license and was thinking about maybe selling some bait from my house for a little project this spring and summer...I know a lot of you guys always say its hard to find decent sized bait for esox and being an esox angler myself id mostly just order 6-8 inch golden shiners and 8-14 inch suckers haha. Id say im in an pretty nice location in victor, a lot of bodies of water around and on the way to a lot of esox lakes depending on where youre coming from. thought id ask the opinions of some of the guys on here and see what people think of it?

Sounds great. Please consider selling quick strike rigs as well. Too many people are still using the old methods, waiting for the fish to swim off before setting the hook when using live bait for esox. It kills fish, period.

The old song and dance about "cut the line and the hook dissolves in their stomach" has been conclusively proven false. A gut hooked fish is a dead fish.

If you're going to get the minnows for yourself anyway and are willing to spend the money for tanks and other equipment just for yourself I suppose it can't hurt to sell to others too. But if you are doing it to make a profit, you have to consider whether you will sell enough to make it worthwhile and whether you are willing to spend time at home selling bait when you could be out fishing yourself. Remember, most people would be coming to your house for the bait at the times you might want to be out on a lake or river using the bait!Also, if you want a lot of customers, don't forget advertising costs.

yeah I dont think it would be like that...just a few extras for anyone who happened to be driving by, nothing extraordinaire not trying to make a profit like becoming a full fledged bait shop. trust me the main priority is me out fishing haha

If you could get us good size suckers come October and November I would give you a chunk of change. Impossible to find in our area. I would be interested in at least 2 dozen good size suckers come fall time if you get this thing going. Suckers go for good $ when you can find them. If you guys need some quick strike rigs- I would have no issue making enough for all of us to use. They are easy to make and pretty cheap compared to most musky items.

The "certified bait" restrictions prevent you from selling your own uncertified bait fish for transportation by motorised vehicles. Hopefully this restriction will end this year, possibly by June. Another thing you need is a sales tax certificate and you have to make your required monthly reports or the tax guys come down hard on you. Be careful starting up a business in New York State.

yeah it wouldnt be too much of a "business" by any means...the person I would order from would be delivering by the pound so I would have plenty left over from whatever I dont take with me out fishing which if im ordering by the pound would be a lot you guys are welcome to...im just going to go to country max I think and get a big horse tub for like 30 bucks and just keep them in there

which regs are you talking about? like certified bait regs?

NYSDEC will tell you everything you need to know to be in compliance with baitfish regulations. Your local Chamber of Commerce will make sure you cover all the business/ legal aspects with one of their entrepreneur kits.

Make sure you jump through all the right hoops, legal, permits, tax, zoning, etc. The state won't send Vinny & da boyz to break your kneecaps but they can make life miserable for you if you are not in compliance with everything. ;)