1972 Evinrude 65 hp O/B - Temp Alarm and/or Gauges??

CatFisher

Hello, LOU community!

Thanks in advance for considering my question! I have recently acquired a 1975 MFG Gypsy 16 foot tri-hull boat with a 1972 Evinrude 65 horse power outboard. I am curious to know if my motor is equipt with a temperature alarm of any kind? And if so, where is it located and how does it work? I would like to ensure that it's functioning correctly.

Also, my boat and motor came with absolutely no gauges of any kind. I am considering installing at least a tachometer, but I'd like to ask the LOU community what gauges I should have or worry about? Your advice would be very, very helpful to some new boaters who are trying to ready our boat for Spring!

Thank you very much for your time and help!

-CatFisher

For an rpm gauge you should look into "Tiny-tach". Very easily installed and very precise. Just wrap one (red) wire around one of the spark plug wires and hook one (white) to a ground.The digital readout will give you correct rpm and also engine hours.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

For an rpm gauge you should look into "Tiny-tach". Very easily installed and very precise. Just wrap one (red) wire around one of the spark plug wires and hook one (white) to a ground.The digital readout will give you correct rpm and also engine hours.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Hey buddy! Thanks for the tip. That tachometer seem easy to install, and easy on the wallet too; I'll definitely consider it. Any other gauges I need to worry about on my boat, or is the tachometer the most important for me? Also, do you know if I have a temp alarm on my motor?

Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

-CatFisher

If there is an audible beep when you turn the key on, you have a temperature alarm. The beep indicates that it is operating. I disabled my alarm once because the oil reservoir level switch was going screwy. Would not you know it, I picked up a clump of seaweed in my lower unit that blocked the water intakes and I cooked the power head good enough to get a new boat and engine.

That engine was equipped with a warning horn in the control box. The temp sender to activate it is located on the upper right corner of the cyl. head cover plate. The older systems do Not have a beep when you first turn the key on. The only time you'll here it is if the engine actually does overheat. (providing the sensor & wiring are still ok)

If you don't know the history of the motor, I would replace the water pump. The kits are inexpensive and fairly easy. Even if you have a good stream, the impeller can be dry-rotted. I had one let go and the loose piece was wedged in the port tube feeding the power head. Caught it in time though.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great input, I really appreciate everyone's time!

I definitely do not hear an audible beep when I turn the key, but I'm hoping I do have the temp alarm as L&M suggests. Assuming I do have one, how would I go about ensuring that it's functioning correctly?

Also, could someone help me decide if I need to install any gauges, and if so what kinds? I had already assumed a tachometer would be a good investment. Is there anything that will monitor the temperature of my particular motor? Is there anything else I should keep an eye on? Honestly, I'm budget minded, and would prefer not to have to buy too many new gauges, but I'd like to be able to monitor my motor's performance in an effort to prevent greater problems later (like what jimski2 mentioned).

Thank you again for your help!

-CatFisher

If you don't know the history of the motor, I would replace the water pump. The kits are inexpensive and fairly easy. Even if you have a good stream, the impeller can be dry-rotted. I had one let go and the loose piece was wedged in the port tube feeding the power head. Caught it in time though.

Yes, I am definitely planing on redoing the water pump, that's on the list ;) Thank you for the suggestion, holy mackerel!

-CatFisher