Help! High Voltage Problem

rshubuck

I figured I had this problem but was not 100% sure until now. I just bought a new VHF Radio and when I turn it on ECESSIVE VOLTAGE pops up on the screen and it shut downs. My Lowrance will shut down if I turn that battery switch to just that battery. Nothing else is effected by this.

I have an 85 Mercrusier 3.7 lt. Runs Great. It has the old stator charging system. Its pumping out 16 to 17 volts while trolling and little more while cruising. Its setup with a dual batterys and a dual battery switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Rob!

You can use the battery that is not being charged for the radio and you will not have the problem. Or even have a dedicated battery,disconnected from your engine charging system, just for your sensitive electronics. The alternative (fine tuning your power supply) is probably far more expensive.

I run the power for every thing threw a 100amp braker then to a blue seas fuse box that might help or you might just end up kicking the braker off. I have three of them set up on the boat. I like that set up that way I can turn the power off to all my electronics and riggers when the boat is layed up.

You can use the battery that is not being charged for the radio and you will not have the problem. Or even have a dedicated battery,disconnected from your engine charging system, just for your sensitive electronics. The alternative (fine tuning your power supply) is probably far more expensive.

I do believe I'd repair it the correct way as opposed to the above statement and frying batteries and other potential issues with 16+ volts.

As Dave said it;s the voltage reg. "and or" an internally shorted battery with that type system will do the same.

Thanks guys. Big Dave is correct. Voltage Reg is toast :@ and they are not cheap. Kind of a design flaw if you ask me.

Sean I been wanting to wire my boat that way for some time now. I been disconnecting my batterys when not in use but I can be a little cheap some times :lol: Where did you get your breakers if you don't mind me asking?

Sean I been wanting to wire my boat that way for some time now. I been disconnecting my batterys when not in use but I can be a little cheap some times :lol: Where did you get your breakers if you don't mind me asking?

West marine for the blue seas fuse box they have two sizes. I put three of the 8 bank boxes in. I got the 100 amp inline breakers from Auto Zone or advanced auto. They have a push button shut off. works great for killing power to fuse box. Saves on all the crap at the battery. Sean

I ordered the Alternator conversion Kit. Thanks everyone!

Thanks Sean! I know what ones you are talking about. I have a 60amp one to for my bow mount minnkota on my other boat. I don't know why I never thought about using one of those before.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I put the alternater in yesterday and it works like a charm. Also, when I took the wires off the voltage reg I noticed the ground was cut off so :@:@ Oh well. Can't wait to take her out. The recent weather has not been the greatest.

alternator.jpg