Outboard problem

shadster

The plugs are fine. I was going to take it to the water and try to adjust the air intake on the carbs. The motor ran great for the times I used it this spring. I make sure to run the old gas from it after each use. I am hoping that this ethanol crap is not the problem, again.

Trouble shooting is so much fun. You need to figure out if this is a fuel issue or an ignition issue. The easiest way I have found to figuring this out is to start the motor. You said when you give it throttle is dies. When it starts deing hit the choke. If the motor starts running a little better then you got a fuel issue. Most likely a carb. If no change or dies immediate then is more likely to be an ignition problem. It does not entirely eliminate a fuel issue but I would bet money on it. Hope this gives you a good starting point.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

.....could be fuel pump..... if you can as you throlle up have someone pump the primer bulb ....

+1. When my high pressure pump went (intermittent failure) it was only evident under extreme loads, like getting up on plane, and sometimes at wot- high fuel demand times. Sputtered pretty good. The rest of the time it ran like a champ.

Thanks to some great advice I found the problem and am happy to report the jet is flying. It was a fuel issue once again. The problem was the fuel hose and bulb from the tank to the motor. There were bits of dirt and rubber in the carbs . I sprayed them with Instant Gum Cutter and let it set for a day. I then flushed and strained the bowls. I am glad that is all it was.

Glad you found it :yes: however you didn't say whether you replaced the hoses and bulb. If not you will be faced with the problem again. Being a carb motor, it is clearly pre-ethanol vintage. The enthanol attacked them and will continue to do so- even with fuel stabilizer ( this just prevents phase separation). You need to have ethanol compliant hoses and bulb. :beer:

Glad you found it :yes: however you didn't say whether you replaced the hoses and bulb. If not you will be faced with the problem again. Being a carb motor, it is clearly pre-ethanol vintage. The enthanol attacked them and will continue to do so- even with fuel stabilizer ( this just prevents phase separation). You need to have ethanol compliant hoses and bulb. :beer:

Thanks Nitro. That was the first thing I did after seeing the junk in the carbs. I bought the hose and the bulb, but used the old fittings.

Do yourself a favor and install a clear fuel filter in line so you can see the gas just before the motor conection.

Has Been, I have a new filter on order. Don't know what the dealer ordered though. He suggested getting a new can. I flushed and cleaned it pretty good and didn't see any particles in it. Maybe in time I will. I'll see how it performs.

The dealer said there is probably going to be a lot more changes to the hoses and such with this 15% scam coming soon.

Thanks again guys. :yes: