Need Oneida Lake Walleye help!

joejv4

First-off, I've never targeted eyes - have only caught them when fishing for something else.

I need a down & dirty Oneida Walleye 101 course.

We're going to be camping at Oneida Shores over the 4th, and will have the boat with us - I REALLY want to catch some Oneida "eyes".

I think I've got all the gear/tackle I need, but need to have some ideas on "where" and "what" - the "when" will be early morning or early evening (avoiding the holiday weekend boat traffic)

Where... places to try, what to look for on the chart and fish finder, areas of the lake that typically hold eyes, productive depths. How do I find them?

What... baits (jigs, worm harnesses, bottom bouncers, stick baits, crank baits, etc) to use and the best way to use them (jigging, bottom bouncing, trolling, deadsticking, etc) along with suggestions on colors.

Otherwise, I'm gonna end up being one of those guys that Mark Komo talks about in his forum signature ("bass is for guys that can't catch walleyes...")

ok.head east find bouy 125 and jig a black jig off the bottom in 28-32 fow...make sure the jig hits the bottom on every jerk of the rod..keep goin east...if you get to bouy 123 with no action go back to 125 and try deeper yet, but on the north side of bouy 125.repeat.if still no luck you can try driftin a worm harness in green or blue in the same area,if that fails...go back to shake shoals and catch green smelly bass....and so long 4 now;john

joe, thier are many ways to get eyes on onieda. what jonny and salmon said are both great ways to fish the little o. my crew normally trolls the clevland bar (north shore)with planers and copper lines and have had our best couple years ever since we switched. we'll work the top of the bar in 12-14' down to the 30' mark. thier are allot of under water shoals, points, islands all over the lake that all have great walleye fishing. get a good map and you'll do fine here. our hot lure this year are perch cotton cordels in all shapes and sizes (varies depending on conditions) trolled slowly. also taken fish on harnesses and black and purple jigs tipped with worm. gl

First-off, I've never targeted eyes - have only caught them when fishing for something else.

I need a down & dirty Oneida Walleye 101 course.

We're going to be camping at Oneida Shores over the 4th, and will have the boat with us - I REALLY want to catch some Oneida "eyes".

I think I've got all the gear/tackle I need, but need to have some ideas on "where" and "what" - the "when" will be early morning or early evening (avoiding the holiday weekend boat traffic)

Where... places to try, what to look for on the chart and fish finder, areas of the lake that typically hold eyes, productive depths. How do I find them?

What... baits (jigs, worm harnesses, bottom bouncers, stick baits, crank baits, etc) to use and the best way to use them (jigging, bottom bouncing, trolling, deadsticking, etc) along with suggestions on colors.

Otherwise, I'm gonna end up being one of those guys that Mark Komo talks about in his forum signature ("bass is for guys that can't catch walleyes...")

Look for steep breaks,/base of the breaks, and you should be able to mark fish.

Black/purple hair jigs tipped with half a crawler, or Heddon Sonars/silver w/green prisim tape.

We pull a lot off bouncer/harness rigs. Experiment with blade color.

One thing I have seen make a difference is Smelly Jelly Liquid.

Run those #4 Colorado blades at 1.0-1.2 mph.

my one uncle paid a A$$ load of money to biologist/expert to be told what his brother (who lives on the lake) already knew. single hook,6 and 6lb line or smaller. drift a crawler hooked once through the head over submurged islands. use a single split shot to keep contact w/the bottom. stick baits at night are deadly and can trolled during the day parallel to shore. i do well trolling the drop off closest to shore. 3' to10' fow . i've done this 30 yrs and never been skunked. expect bonus fish and watch the weather. the lake can turn poopy on a dime.