How to fish carp? A new angler...

Hi,

Does anybody have suggestions on how to fish big carps? I saw several big guys in a nearby pond but had no way to hook up them. What kind of bait do they like? What time is good for fishing carps? Anybody can reply me? I just know how to use worm. :) Thank you very much.

Howard

Corn works good. Buy cheap stuff, toss a handfull in the water. load a fine wire hook as full as you can get it and toss it out, hang on They are line and weight shy. I use 4lb test with little or no weight if little current. In rivers I would stalk feeding carp a toss a crayfish 5 feet upstream of them. Have fun Wes P.S. leave the bail open if you put it in a forked stick. If you put a rubber band around the grip on the pole you can put the line under the rubber band so that it does not un spool but when the fish strikes the line will pull out of the rubber band you close the bail and set the hook.

As Wes pointed out carp are very line/drag & weight shy. I used to have pretty good success with a float rod setup.We used to use a crude (by today's standards) fly rod & reel spooled w/ 6lb test mono back in the 80s to catch some real monsters in the Ct. river. The bait they want seemed somewhat dependent on location to me. A centre pin setup w/ a float seems like it would be the bomb!

I always made a corn paste from a can of corn and corn flakes. Mix the water and some of the corn into the corn flakes to make a gooey paste. Then make a ball the size of a nickle around a hook. Use a slip sinker so the fish can swim with the hook for a ways. Set the hook and hold on. I take a second can of corn and punch several holes in the sides and put it in the water as a scent bag. You can use a slip bobber above to help identify bites.

Baring that, bows and arrows work wonders.