I always thought that Irondequoit Creek only has brown trout, steel head and some rainbow stocking,but never any salmon.

Why would any salmon come to Irondequoit creek?

browns and steelhead (steelhead and rainbow trout are the same species) are stocked each spring. In the 80's Kings, Cohos and even Atlantics were stocked in the Irondequoit. Ever since then there has been populations that continue to return... A mix of wild reproducing fish and stock fish that were dumped in the lake elsewhere.... I think its only kings and cohos now though...its been a long time since ive heard of anyone catching an atlantic there.

Saw many salmon/trout jumping and flopping around in the bay this morning. They were near the opening of the small creek on the west side, south of bridge. I could hear em splashing from my house and went out to look and could easily see them from 200 yards away. Unfortunately had no way to get out to them and gotta run to work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I don't know if they are going in there. I never walked up to the creek to see. There was a swarm of them in front of the mouth and towards the shore/houses. I see no reason why some fish don't go in there. At some point in time a salmon must have spawned in there given it's location in relation to I-creek

I don't know if they are going in there. I never walked up to the creek to see. There was a swarm of them in front of the mouth and towards the shore/houses. I see no reason why some fish don't go in there. At some point in time a salmon must have spawned in there given it's location in relation to I-creek

growing up i lived off densmore right near where the new middle school was built... used to hike along the creekbed as a kid to the waterfalls and under the 590 overpass to the Pure Waters control structure... dont remember seeing any fish, but then again i was more interested in playing with cap guns and hide and seek than fishing... Now i live off bayshore near the mouth... probably would be worth taking a short walk to check it out... I remember it only being a few inches deep for the most part...though the pool at the falls could probably hold some stream trout....

I think the creek bed is important...stones vs mud etc. I don't know what densmore is.

The fish were on the south side of the reeds, in what looks like a cove by people's docks.

They could have just been hangin out there in the shallows.

I'm on bayshore too

I think the creek bed is important...stones vs mud etc. I don't know what densmore is.

The fish were on the south side of the reeds, in what looks like a cove by people's docks.

They could have just been hangin out there in the shallows.

I'm on bayshore too

Densmore is mostly pebbles and shale until it crosses under densmore road and passes through the Norton st. Purewater station. From there west into the city it runs through a concrete man-made culvert. I wouldnt expect any fish to get past the falls behind the Legacy old folks home on norton though, its a 15ft drop.

The fish might be headin up densmore... or they might just be following the west edge of the bay all the way down to I-creek seeing as the mouth is at the southwest side of the bay.

Im at the intersection of ridge and bayshore, near the Sungard office building...so i must not be far from you.

I live in Bay Village - the North docks we have are over some pretty deep water for the Bay. If they are coming up the west, any thoughts on the prospects of hooking into something off that area? I gave it a shot last night for two hours, just caught some bass and crappie. I would be THRILLED to catch a trout, salmon or walleye over there though. Anyone have any thoughts? If not, I'm heading back to Summerville as I hooked into my first King there last Friday. AMAZING!!! What a BLAST!!!!!

I was at Summerville Friday but left at around 9 pm. Got nothing but the guy next to me got a brown and a king.

As for bay village, I'm a few houses down and the walleye bite has stopped for me as of a few weeks ago. I wouldn't spend too long casting for salmon or trout there. Low chance they will be there. Better odds at the piers

Just got back from the outlet.... bagged a nice little bass... Other than that not much action so i moved down to summerville. Got the biggest White Bass ive ever seen on a KO wobbler... again though, no serious action to speak off. A gentleman on the end of the pier did Bring in a really nice king in the 15lb range around 4pm though...green spinner...

largemouth.jpg

whitebass.jpg

I was at Summerville from about 9:00 - 2:30. I was in about 100 yards or so from the step.

Thanks for the tip about fishing in the Bay for trout and salmon. I have fished that bay for 5 years and I have never seen a single trout or salmon in there. I never thought about searching them out until I started looking at this site and started to think about the fish going up the creek. Clearly they travel through the Bay, but I can't imagine catching one in there. Frankly until this year I had never caught a walleye in there either. Bass and Pike - LOTS of them. Time to plan a trip to hit the pier again!

Interested to see your results. We used to catch practically anything off the pier there in the eighties, then the bite seemed to die off in the nineties. I haven't dropped a line there in at least ten years.