9/4/11 Finders Keepers Salmon River Kingfest...

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Finders Keepers

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 9/4/11

Time on Water: 6am - 8pm

Weather/Temp: partly cloudy, few sprinkles, warm

Wind Speed/Direction: SW 10-15 becoming light west

Waves: 1-2' chop becoming 4-7' swells from west then laying down

Surface Temp: 74

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 47

Total Boated: 40

Species Breakdown: Kings and coho's

Hot Lure: RRRed Echip with Hypnotist fly

Trolling Speed: 2.0 - 2.4

Down Speed: 2.2-2.7

Boat Depth: 70-90 fow

Lure Depth: 60-80

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Final day of the LOC for us and it was a last minute decision to either go to the west end (Niagara Bar or Olcott) or the east end at the Salmon River. With the forecast for bad weather coming in and winds kicking up, we decided to head to the east end to try to get the most time on the water. So my brother and I headed east at 3:30am and splashed down into the Salmon River at 5:30am at the Pine Grove launch. Having never fished there before, we headed out to where the other boats were set up (65 fow) and started there. The screen was lit up with huge marks from 50 ft to the bottom. We set the riggers first with Green Glow J-plugs and then started on the wires. Just as I set the first wire out 200 ft pulling a wonderbread echip with Man-O-War sushi fly, the port side rigger fires and starts singing! Soon thereafter the wire gets slammed and we're doubled up with only one rod left in the water! We boated both low 20's kings and began setting back up our spread of two riggers and 4 wires. As the morning continued, we found the best depths to be 70-75 fow over a half-mile stretch. The number of fish we saw on the screen was amazing and so was the fishing! We had many doubles, a few triples, and at 10:30 we boated a huge 31 pound slob:

9-4-1131lbKing.jpg

We decided to run it in to try for the big fish of the day and possibly get onto the bottom end of the LOC. At Woody's it weighed in at 31.00 lbs, just shy of the board, but was the biggest of the day thus far. We then headed back out to our honey hole and were happy to see the groves of fish still there awaiting our return. The rest of the the afternoon was nothing shy of fantastic with big kings and screaming drags, like this 29 lb'er:

9-4-11Upper20sKing.jpg

Things were going great and we were having a blast, until the port side rigger fired with what felt like a monster king. Instead of running, it stayed deep beneath the boat. Then charged towards the surface, wrapped around the port side rigger cable TWICE, then took off snapping the rigger cable :o:devil: , hooking the starboard side rigger line, tying it into a knot and then shook free. Oh yeah, not only did we lose a 15 lb shark, but that rigger also had our probe on it! :@ I still don't know why the downrigger cable broke and not the 30 lb fleaflicker line (???), but kudos to that king for being so smart! :clap: We definitely have a story to tell for quite some time! Just some more gear to rack-up on the huge list of gear lost this year...

Items added to my Christmas list:

(2) 15 lb shark weights (2nd one lost this year)

(2) Scotty Downrigger Releases (2nd one lost this year)

(2) Cannon Intelli-Probes (one to have as a spare - also 2nd one lost this year :$ )

Well, we ended the day around 8pm as it was getting dark. We were still taking shots, but unfamiliar with the port and the fact that we were beat from fighting kings all day and couldn't enter a LOC fish anyway, we decided to call it a day. We took shots on almost every rig we put down, including the following:

RRRed echip with hypnotist fly

Green/Blue spin doc with blue glow whole familiar bite head

Green glow j-plug (single and tandem)

Mixed Veggies Nk Mag

UV Green echip with crazy-b fly

Blue Dolphin spin doc with Chasin' Tail fly

White/green dots spin doc with Zilla sushi fly

White/green dots XL spin doc with new orange head super teaser

White/green dots spin doc with white glow teaser

RRRed LJ metal dodger with Destroyah Sushi fly

And several others that I can't remember offhand. We had the wires out 200 & 225 (on a 1 setting) and 250 & 265 (on a 3 setting), and riggers between 65 and 80 with 5-12 ft leads. We finished the day going 40 for 47 with mostly kings ranging from 12-31 lbs (most 20-25 lbs), and 2 cohos (8 and 13 lbs). It was a great ending to a fantastic season! 8) We didn't find the LOC fish we were after (or maybe that was the one that took our probe), but it was a blast!

For those of you who would like some insight into our success on the water, my brother and I will be hosting a salmon/trout seminar at the Auburn Bass Pro Shop next Sunday Sept. 11 from 1-5pm, where we will be showing how we set up our spread this past weekend (live demonstration using out boat), plus doing hands on activities, answering questions, and much more. See my post in "Open lake Discussion" for more info and registration info.

Good luck to everyone getting out this fall and we'll see ya on the hardwater in a few months! 8)

Perry,

Not sure if it will be taped or not. If so, I will get it online for everyone to see, otherwise we will be doing more seminars next spring/summer both at Bass Pro and the Sodus Point Lodge. As soon as they are scheduled, we'll get them on the Lou calendar. 8)