Need Advice - Fish are Escaping!

bfarrow

I need some assistance. I have been trolling the area in front of Irondequoit Bay for the first time this season and I have had some success getting fish to hook up, but I'm consistently losing large (I imagine they must be large) fish to broken gear within the first 10 seconds. I'm not even really getting a hand on the pole before the fish seems to be gone. The first fish snapped the leader line on the fly itself - none of my handiwork/tackle. It honestly looks like a pair of vice grips smashed down on that line and then it split. It was a brand new fly - never been used - and there were no kinks in the line. The box says the line that I believe was bitten through was 50#.

The next big hit I took snapped a knot (I typically have always used the "Improved Cinch Knot") I had made using 30# Big Game between the Dipsey and the Spinny. I've fished for years (just not on Lake O. like this) using that knot and I have never had it come apart. Do I need a new knot? I may have even had it doubled on that area (is that what is wrong?) I did not have a snubber on (I see many people say they have removed the snubber from their setup on here so I followed suit) and I'm running 50# braid to the Dipsey.

My drag is JUST holding the line. I set it so loose I can hear a *click,click,click* every so often as I'm trolling due to the waves. I'm not hearing a Zip though when the fish hits - just a couple pole jerks and then nothing. I know I'm not hitting bottom - I'm WAY too deep and not NEARLY enough line out when this happens.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to boost the strength of the line? Should I run a snubber when using the braid? Is my Dipsey too tight? Is this just a fact of life I need to get used to? The second fish swam off trailing not only my fly, but the flasher as well...So I'm hoping to avoid that again (it gets expensive) until I at least get to SEE one of these fish up close.

I appreciate the help! I'm starting to talk to myself constantly out there wondering what these fish are going to swim off with next. If you see a guy mumbling incoherently in a boat in front of I-Bay...well...it very well may be me...

CONFUSED FOR SURE!

You should try to use a snubber,this will cushion the first impact of a hit,and you can also set the dipsy just a bit looser.

What kind of swivels are you using?

You remind me of what is was like for me when I first started trolling Lake Ontario.

The moment of excitement when something hits is a RUSH! The defeated feeling when I pull everythng up and see that something else has been whisked away in the jaws of some beast from the deep...well...I'm becoming a bit of a mumbling fool out there...I would do anything just to SEE one of these things at this point. I'm even willing to mess it all up by whacking the fish accidentally on the head with the net when trying to get him in the boat (I'm often going out on my own - so i wait till the weather is VERY calm) so long as I could SEE one! I'm starting to think I need to use steel chains.

The better swivels on the market are the Spro and the Sempra. They are smaller,but they have bearings and they are very strong for their seize. Another thing is to allow the fish to run and let himself tire a bit before bringing him in. "Setting" the hook with 30 some pounds on the other end trying to go the other way will break lines.

I will fight the urge to "set" the hook...that may be part of my issue as I'm thinking about it. Being traditionally a shore fisherman, setting the hook is necessary. I am consciously trying to avoid the temptation, but that could be part of my technique issue here. I will try to allow the fish to just run for a bit and not pull back on the rod at all.

Thanks for the advice!

You have stated in both cases the line snapped. So, first i don't see where changing swivels will make a difference as that is not the point of failure.

In my opinion 30 pound line is a little too light between a dipsey and flasher. Remember it was 30 pound line when new. A couple of hits will fatigue the knots and any abrasion will also weaken the line.

Maybe the 50 pound line on the fly was fatigued or compromised in some way.

My suggestions are to use at least 40 pound line between the dipsey and flasher, use a snubber, AND change lines often. Check the line to the fly every time you bring it in, and don't be afraid to retie.

Every time I catch something, 4-5 ft of the main line gets cut off & things retied. Run the line between your fingers & feel for any roughness - if present then retie. Also look at your knots - if it's "curly" near your knot then retie. (always wet the line when pulling a knot tight)

Remember - don't store mono or copoly in the sunlight or anywhere where it can get too warm.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

your first that snapped the leader was the fish got the leader caught on the back of the trebles. Put a little epoxy in the V of your trebles. second problem, use at least 40# line between your dipsey and your flasher. what kind of reel are you using and when was the drag last serviced? When i first started fish ontario i used cheap swivels. line twist kills your mono, use quality swivels. they cost about a buck a piece but a new flasher and fly cost a lot more.

Thanks for the tips! I went last night and bought some 40# test line and tied up some new leaders with new swivels. My rods and reels are brand new. As I said, this is my first year trying this out so everything is a learning process. This website has helped TREMENDOUSLY! I have a mixture of rod and reel combos based on advice I have seen on here. 1 Okuma Dipsey pole (10ft) with a Daiwa SG47LC reel - 1 Cabelas Gold Depthmaster LC with Cabelas Downrigger Pole (8ft) - 1 Daiwa Accudepth LC with a 9 ft pole the brand of which escapes me - and lastly an Eagle Claw setup with the starfire rod. I have mono, pro line braid, Cabelas braid and a Mason leadcore line setup. I'm trying to figure out what I like and what works for me. I have had some success catching browns and steelies, but the Kings I believe are busting my chops. I will try using the 40# line, continue to resist the "set-the-hook" temptation, keep the snubber on there and see if I can't loosen the Dipsey release a bit without having it come unglued every time I put it in the water. At this point I'm hoping to get a King to the boat at least. In my mind I have already identified that I may have a bit of an issue netting it by myself, but I will figure that out more once the opportunity arises. At this point I can't keep one on my line. I'm just sacrificing lures to the depths of Lake O., a practice I hope to remedy in the next few days (if the weather cooperates).

You might have a really bad spool of lead line - I've read this before where a manufacturing error leads to very brittle line that just snaps all the time - so yes try the new lead material, that should solve everything.\

Don't go changing too much all at once or you will wander away from some of your good setups.

Keep everything the same, just change the leader material.

Then look at new knots, then look at your swivels.

I wouldn't use a snubber to fix this problem.

The only other thing is the drag on your reel - is it CONSISTENTLY smooth or is it maybe jamming once in a while??

Snapping mid leaders on dipsies can happen if your line gets twisted around the dipsy by letting it fall back without sufficient tension. Make sure it goes back with a bend in the rod while letting it out using the drag (not your thumb). I use Opti snubbers and 30# copolymer for my dispy-to-flasher mid leaders. It has been years since I had a fish break off a flasher. Your knot is appropriate and should hold if tied correctly. Sans snubber, use 40# mono.

Cohos eat flies. they do really absurd things when they fight. I had one turn an A-TOM-MIK tournament fly into a 1 inch ball that I had to cut apart and retie.