Species Breakdown: caught a buzz when i got home :beer:

Hot Lure: nothing

Trolling Speed: 2-3

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 15-75

Lure Depth: surface- 55

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

Not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe there aren't any fish where i am at... i have used everything from spoons to j-plugs, flasher/fly, and even drifted sacs, i even said the hell with it and started pulling around some of the tackle i used in Florida but nothing.... nothing not even a pulled hook, a bite, a snagged log would have been nice. I don't know i'll try again this week. :headbang::swear:

====================

we got out in the east wind and did the same, similar everything, waves, depth, lures etc.

we're pretty new to lake ontario, but we're pretty good on lake erie, anyways... we got home and i wanted to do the same, but i had to work early the next morning

locate the fish on sonar or fish the thermocline (temp unit) 42-43-50* f

or cover the water column and adjust accordingly

try different speeds 1.8-3.5 mph, with gps, also check rods for lure action

pay attention to tackle

good luck

Spent three hours yesterday pulling J-plugs on a down speed of 3.0-3.2 on the Niagara Bar in 60-80 fow. Not a hit! Put throttle to almost neutral to pull rods and riggers. Cleared one side of boat. Turned toward other side and....fish on! A few small jumps at surface, then a dive and boat charge. Got him back up, then a short surface struggle 10' behind boat, then plug comes flying at me. 30 seconds of fun out of three hours. What a day!

Cut bait and whole alwifes can sometimes give you an edge (if they're hungry they'll follow the scent), but this time of year I have found the best presentation to be very bright flashy colors to get them to hit out of aggression: Rrred's, chartruese, bright greens, flies with mirage in them, etc. Also, varying your speed can trigger hits as well. Pay attention to the other boats around you - if they are hooking up repeatedly, then you're probably missing something. If no one is boating fish, like this past weekend, then it could just be a tough bite. :$

Guys - this time of year is tight for all of us.

The Salmon's stomach shrinks and they eat A LOT less.

There are two approaches - you have to have a VERY good presentation if you want them to bite to feed. If there is one tiny thing wrong, they won't go for it. That's why I start fishing the rivers when they start to run. I use a float rod, with 8 lb flouro line and row or flies - sometimes with a 4# lead! And even this is a tough.

Obviously we can't use line this light in the lake - so we need to go to the second approach.

What follows I've learned by hear say. I do not have any scientific evidence of this, but I believe it 150%. As salmons stage, they become aggressive with males trying to keep their position behind females to be the succesful spawn fish. Big flashers, bright colors, etc. can sometimes be interpreted by a salmon as a challenge, and they will strike by nipping at the bait, like they would nip a salmon's tail that is in front of them.

So, for this to work, you need to be in close on the salmon and keep passing over them, by figure eights or circles with bright colors, big flashers, etc. You want to basically tick them off!

However, with even this technique do not expect double digit hits - they are not in the same mood as when we were pulling them out in June/July.

If you wait a little towards mid or end October the steelies will begin to enter the rivers and you can catch these a little easier as they are coming in to get some meals.

Mark

Same thing here. Fished in front of the Genny Sat. with the fleet with no luck. Decided to troll up the river before we headed in. Marked a ton right by the new bridge. Saw the Sheriffs and Coast Guard boats up the river. Ran 6 rod spread, 2 SD/Flys, 2 spoons and 2 J-plugs. No takers.

Good luck,

Rick

Same thing here. Fished in front of the Genny Sat. with the fleet with no luck. Decided to troll up the river before we headed in. Marked a ton right by the new bridge. Saw the Sheriffs and Coast Guard boats up the river. Ran 6 rod spread, 2 SD/Flys, 2 spoons and 2 J-plugs. No takers.

Good luck,

Rick

Cut bait and whole alwifes can sometimes give you an edge (if they're hungry they'll follow the scent), but this time of year I have found the best presentation to be very bright flashy colors to get them to hit out of aggression: Rrred's, chartruese, bright greens, flies with mirage in them, etc. Also, varying your speed can trigger hits as well. Pay attention to the other boats around you - if they are hooking up repeatedly, then you're probably missing something. If no one is boating fish, like this past weekend, then it could just be a tough bite. :$

So I tried some cut bait and I got the fight of my life...

With an effing sea gull

This last weekend was tough for just about everyone. Look at what the water did. All along the southern shore it was warm, then we had that big "blow' and near shore got real cold. That brought the fish way in close. Then it got real warm again, bait went to the bottom & those fish that weren't ready to head upstream went back out deep.

Keep at it. Next weekend they may be right back within reach.

Tom B.

(LongLine)