fish finder info

ghertzog2003

The HDS5 come in two models ( HDS5x gps only, HDS5 gps with sonar) ,which one you have. From what I remember the only difference between the 5 & 7 was screen size and possibly pixel size on the first units. I'm sure you can compare features on the Lowrance website.

Screen size is a major player if you want to run a split screen, or if the unit is mounted at the helm and you want to view it from the back, bigger is definitly better.

We've been running an HDS8 since they were introduced, which is a nicer unit now after installing the latest updated firmware. I'm now just getting it setup again, but the new update has addressed many issues.

I would have purchased a 10" display, but a got a great deal on an 8".

We use the unit everytime the boat is out, so my reasoning for a larger more costly unit was easily justified, its not just a fish finder, its chart plotter for our AP, positioning link to the DSC VHF radio and option radar, engine monitoring and Sirus radio are future options that we plan to build up to.

The HDS5 beats nothing at all, so the question would be, do you want a larger display?

John

The HDS5 come in two models ( HDS5x gps only, HDS5 gps with sonar)

John

Just thought I would correct this statement. The 5x would be SONAR only. Another difference with the 5x only is there is NO SD card slot for firmware updating. You must update with another HDS via network.

For future reference on HDS units, the 'X' means sonar only; the 'M' (map) means CHART only; and no letter following the number means it is a COMBO unit.

Edd

What i have is the HDS5 fish finder,gps chartplotter,Lake insight.HDS 4.0 software.Was goning to exchange it for the hds-7 sonar/gps combo at CABELAS which is advertised for $599 after 200.00 rebate.They don't have them (hamburg store) item#02741429 and said they don't know when they will get them.So why put them on sale? Sale starts jan. 5th.Called Neb. cutomer service she said she could ship one from another store,I said fine, gave her credit card info.Called me back and said no stores have any.Ain't that strange?

Lowrance has come out with a new HDS Gen2 series that are just starting to ship this week.

That's why they have had sales and rebates to move out the old stock. It might be worth waiting for a new Gen2 unit if you can get it at that price when they become available.

The Gen2 units have a faster processor and a new Structure Map feature but probably not much difference in regular sonar and gps functions other than quicker redraws. I'm sure the new processor will allow for more advanced features in the future.

What i have is the HDS5 fish finder,gps chartplotter,Lake insight.HDS 4.0 software.Was goning to exchange it for the hds-7 sonar/gps combo at CABELAS which is advertised for $599 after 200.00 rebate.They don't have them (hamburg store) item#02741429 and said they don't know when they will get them.So why put them on sale? Sale starts jan. 5th.Called Neb. cutomer service she said she could ship one from another store,I said fine, gave her credit card info.Called me back and said no stores have any.Ain't that strange?

Just return it and find another store that has an HDS-7 in stocks so you can get the 200.00 rebate. I purchased an HDS-7 from cabelas in November and just filled my rebate out last night actually it was a great deal. The new gen2 units biggest thing is structure map and speed, which for the lake ontario troller won't do you much good so I suggest just finding a great deal on a gen1 unit and putting that extra coin into a map chip or your pocket.

You can check BBG Marine or Bass Pro Shops or just Google HDS-7 under Google Shopping. You'll find one

BTW- BIG time screen difference between the 5 and 7 just as there is between 7, 8 and 10.

Don't worry, you'll be happy once you learn how to use it and see how it works on the water

Any new finder can be a little overwhelming when you start, with all the settings and options available, but once you learn the menu logic and how to tweak them they are amazing. I really appreciate the clarity and brightness of the HDS display. I can see it from the back of the boat fine, even with my old eyes.