VHF Radio

REZ

I'm definitely taking everyones advice regarding purchasing a VHF radio. I'm thinking about a Raymarine 49 E43034 VHF radio 25 watts and a Shakespeare VFH antenna 8' 5202 6db. Any thoughts about this radio or any other suggestions?

Thanks REZ

In addition, I would strongly suggest getting a handheld VHF for use as a backup should your main fixed-mount VHF fail on you. Yes, they may not have the range of a fixed-mount unit, but I'd rather have something than nothing when you really need it.

Make sure that no matter what radio you get,it should have the possibility of hooking your GPS unit into it. Next,it would be a good idea to get an MMSI number(they are free and you can get them online)

If you have an emergency you will be able to broadcast your exact location on every wavelength all the coast guard stations and every ship with a radio on it simply by pushing the emergency button on your radio because of your GPS hookup and your MMSI number setup it will also inform your home of any emergency.

These are 2 very important things for people fishing Lake Ontario.

The link below will explain exactly what a MMSI number can do for you.

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/faq.htm

http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/

Cornelis

In addition, I would strongly suggest getting a handheld VHF for use as a backup should your main fixed-mount VHF fail on you. Yes, they may not have the range of a fixed-mount unit, but I'd rather have something than nothing when you really need it.

That is some mighty good advice right there. :yes:

I fish out of a 17ft. Starcraft and also have a hand held backup radio. I opted for a waterproof Icom model, so I can get help even if ( God forbid) I have to exit the boat. I keep a small "ditch bag" on the port side dash with the radio. 2 waterproof signal flares, and an orange signal flag I can wave at passing boats. I also always wear an auto inflatable PFD as I fish alone most of the time.

Jim S.