new to cayuga lake and dipsy divers

hey guys, i am trying to get started on fishing cayuga lake. i have never fished water deeper than 50ft.cayuga is a bit deeper than that. my question is,can i fish cayuga lake effectively with dipsy divers or do i need to get into down riggers.i have fished dipsy divers for a couple of years now, but only for eyes on erie and in lake wallenpaupack were i live.what is the average depth that i need to achieve on cayuga for trout and LL.i have only caught steelhead and salmon from rivers,and want to broaden my horizon a little bit. any advice would be great.

You will be fine with just the diver rods. I would run four wire divers and two core /copper off of church boards that is if you have two guys on the boat. Run two mag dipseys and two number 1s with rings, run the mags on 1.5 the others on 2.5 to 3 setting. Use the mags with flashers and flies for Lakers down 80 to 120ft then the other divers with spoons at the T-cline or in the 20 to 60ft range if the T-cline is not set up yet. I always have four diver rods in the water and some days we will have six in. I only run wire with them I have less problems with fleas when they start. We were pounding the Lakers last week on the deep divers out 280 on Seneca. Good Luck Sean

thanks for the tips it will make my life a little easier on my first trip up. i am not commercial or pro by any means. i have a 20' kenner center console, and rarely have more than myself and a buddy on board. by the way hookedup, i just visited your website and maybe i will take advantage of your winter specials and book a trip with you.cant beat the price.

Dipseys are a great set up for Cayuga. There is a learning curve but if you get out with Sean I'm sure he will get you started. Big lakers on wire are a blast!! :yes::yes: Feel free to ask if you need help getting started. Me and the old man (quality time) seem to have a good track record for getting people started and then having them catch bigger fish than we do :lol: We enjoy it though.

Ben

thanks for the tips it will make my life a little easier on my first trip up. i am not commercial or pro by any means. i have a 20' kenner center console, and rarely have more than myself and a buddy on board. by the way hookedup, i just visited your website and maybe i will take advantage of your winter specials and book a trip with you.cant beat the price.[/quo

Sounds good, the winter fishing is some of the best of the year. No weeds lots of fish and we can show you everything you can run when you don’t have riggers. Sean

• 2 weeks later...

You have to let the dipsys out real slow. We also run two on each side. We had some trouble last year with weeds. The weeds would slide down the line and fowl the dipsy making it hard to trip or worse yet it would not plane to the side and get tangled with the other line. Many of our fish are on dipsys. Make sure you have a good rod holder because the mags. with rings pull reel hard. Wes