Atlantic Salmon – Single row of teeth in roof of mouth

Atlantic Salmon – mouth At or Ahead of the eye

Atlantic Salmon – Arc or Semi-circle tail

Brown Trout - Twice as many rows of teeth

Brown Trout – mouth Beyond the eye

Brown Trout – Tetragon (square) tail

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I've been going by the single vs. double row of teeth to ID them. Thanks for posting additional features to key in on. Maybe the AT or AHEAD of the eye on the mouth is a better quick-ID to help get the Atlantics back in the water faster.

also you can lift an atlantic salmon by its tail, doing that with a brown is like holding a greased piglet. i know a ten pound atlantic would spank a 10 pound brown as far as being connected to a rod, and just for a fun fact, a 15-20 pound atlantic can and WILL run a 30 pund king off their reds. they are extremely territorial and they have no creature besides man to fear. they will not have to compete with other species for spawning habitat...they will steal it. atlantics are awsome i wish more stocking was taking place to jumpstart the natural spawning rate.

This is from a previous post here on the LOU and it shows the difference between the two. I caught a 20# Atlantic a couple years ago and knew it was an Atlantic Salmon by it's fight. I got to the launch and a guy there insisted it was a brown trout. "Wow what a brown," I remember him saying. I took the fish to Fat Nancy's in Oswego where Captain Andy Bliss confirmed I was right.

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/glsportfish/pdfs/SalmonTrout-LakeOntario2012.pdf

Someone posted pics of both fish side by side a few years back. I still have the pic for reference, but don't know who to give the credit to.... Here it is...Browns on top, Atlantics on the bottom.

browns_on_top_and_atlantics.jpg

Someone posted pics of both fish side by side a few years back. I still have the pic for reference, but don't know who to give the credit to.... Here it is...Browns on top, Atlantics on the bottom.

browns_on_top_and_atlantics.jpg

Those were caught in April (`05) and were typical 18"-20" Cayuga Lake fish at the time. Quality has improved since as many of you know.

I took that picture in 2005 and have posted it a few times. ID'ing brown's & LL's seems to come up every year and a picture explains the difference a lot better when it's in front of you. Seems that once the fish get 21"+ they are a lot easier to distinguish.