wire vs. 30-50lb. braid for running dipseys

i ran the size 0 dipseys on the fingerlakes with some good success this year.

then i started fishing lake O and got some larger rigs for running size 1 dipseys with wire. i haven't gotten used to the feeling of wire. if the purpose of wire is the no stretch, what's wrong with just running 30-50lb. braided line?

thanks,

dre

I have 2 each of both the 30 lb wire and 50 lb power pro (also 2 30 lb mono divers). The only real difference I can see between the wire and the bariad is that braid is a flea magnet, so my braid divers stay in the cabin once flea season starts.

That, and the fact that my wire divers seem to take a lot more shots than my braid divers. Both take plenty of fish though.

Tim

Power Pro braid seems to have a wax coating that wears off with use and the line fuzzes upcatching a lot of fleas. I switched to Stren Superbraid, it claims to have a different coating and so far I've only had minor problems with the fleas.

ive been pushing(pulling) power pro for 4 years with great results still haven't touched the origional knot now i do use the 65lb test which is a little bigger than the wire but a few extra ft on the counter will put it in the zone ..as for fleas im not shure if its the dia, or the sorta oval shape that might shake em off,but side by side the 65lb runs cleaner,much cleaner than my wire and it cleans much easier than wire at the tip (twill) most people post the oppisite results which seem a little odd ,but my post might be the odd one?????as i dont get out as much as some ive only logged 422hrs this year in 15 years when i retire ill have time to fish a little more .

i dont know if i need one as ive never run a dypsy without one ,on agressive days my hookups are near 100% .when you feel a fish swimming away head shaking and tail kicking that snubber has to be acting like a shock absorber, cutting down on the amount of lip ripping and hook hole elongation during the fight specially when your pulling it in and you feel that big head shake.i cant imagine how it would feel without that 10 to15 " of bungie effect.. i started using the clear snubbers this year they seemed kinda whimpy but after a hardy season with the dypsys they have held up great (knock,knock) i really dont think im missing any hookups due to these ,and i think (i know) my land ratio is greater on the dypsys in part due to the snubbers,the rest of the landing part is just raw skill on my part and my mental capicity to outthink a fish,well one in a thousand i can outsmart but as i say...........................run the snubbers and.....................

Definitely need the snubber with braid. No other shock absorber as with mono. I forgot my snubber several times and the hits broke the line, once aft of the dipsey and once in front of the dipsey. Can be a $30 mistake!This with 30# fire line and 30# floro leader.

Jekyll

Hey Ray ( I mean Lord Buffy) your comms. will be paid in full when I catch my first king over 20 pounds !! , now I don't get up there very often so it might be awhile !! You except salmon eggs for payment won't you !! :lol: Keep those checks glowing !! and good fishing !!! :D:D Thanks Jekyll !!

i do not have riggers on my boat so at times i have four dipseys out, all with braid and no snubbers, lots of fish this summer with no lost equipment due to fish hits. 30# Fireline with 20# leader early on and 30# now. I lost two dipseys this summer with spoons on them by throwing them overboard thinking they were tied on :x Make sure drag is set good

doug

I will throw my two cents in on the braid.

Saw the link on snubbers, I feel it depends on the rod, I run a 10 foot mooching Okuma for my dispey and I do not use a snubber when using 50# mono for leaders on flasher rigs.

Now for spoons I run a clear thin snubber with 25# leaders.

I did use a snubber on my wire this year and lost a lot of fish.

The wire does fish deeper.