I agree with Bottom Feeder's setup suggestion. You want to play with distance away from boat and depth to keep them apart from one another. I've done it the other way around with the mags on the outside and then a standard or even a smaller No 0 dipsey on the inside two. What works the best if you go with the smaller ones on the inside is to use a No 1 and No 0 on the two inside lines. This puts the No 1 deeper and closer to the boat, and the No 0 shallower and farther from the boat. If a king hits the No 1 it can basically swim under the No 0 line.

Anyhow it's all good and easy to keep under control until a big king hits. You'll have to get use to potentially reeling in one or possibly two of the lines if you can't control the king away from the others. This is where it is good to have a spare set of hands onboard.

You can use 4 of the same size dipseys, or run mags on your lower divers. We kinda got outta the mag dipsys and went with all the same divers. Rule of thumb is to keep the settings 1.5 apart. We will run one side of the boat on a 1 and a 2.5 while the other is on a .5 and a 2 until we find the hot set-up. Let them out one at a time. We also will keep the low and high divers a minimum of 50' apart on the counters.

It doesn't matter which one you let out first. If we are letting out the high diver, and the low diver is already in place sometime we will grab the low diver and run it down the chute while we hold the high diver rod out to the side and let it creep out. If we are letting the low diver out, and the high diver is already out we will let the low diver out on a loose drag or down the chute.

Also, keep the boat straight when your deploying these. After they are deployed and settled into place you can make the hardest turn and have no issues with them tangling. Lastly, if you are running copper off boards try not to use high settings on your divers because your diver will travel off to the side enough to get caught into your copper on turns.

Low Diver - closest to the back of your boat

High Diver - closest to the front of our boat

Exactly what Rick offered!..It works for me, just remember his point about moving rods to the chute to make things easier to deploy. I run my copper off the outriggers up high and back to avoid issues with the dipsy wires. Good advice Rick. :yes:

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 4 weeks later...
You can use 4 of the same size dipseys, ........

Lastly, if you are running copper off boards try not to use high settings on your divers because your diver will travel off to the side enough to get caught into your copper on turns.

Just wanna make sure I have the info correct Rick, you mean don't go with 2.5-3 setting on your dipsy if you are already running a 400-500' copper on a board or you could get a mess when it drifts out?

Thanks

j

More so on a turn.....if your running 500 coppers to get to fish a 3 setting isn't the most efficient way to get to those fish anyway.

Yeah, I'm with ya. Just wanted to make sure what you meant "higher" setting.

j

ok. im understanding the different settings and maybe even different length rods to help keep lines seperate when running two per side but what about 20# vs 30# wire. i know 20# isnt ideal with fleas but once they die down wouldnt it help to run 20# on the low diver to help with getting deeper than the 30# outside diver which should be shallower? just trying to keep them as separate as possible. is this over kill? some say i should run the same pound wire on both diver rods to get the best separation between divers. any thoughts?

20# vs 30# is for mono, not wire. Fleas will be showing up any day so stick with 30lb line. Do NOT use mono on your divers, wire only. I disagree with rick on the 3 setting and 500 copper though as I use that setup a lot to keep a dipsey high for steelies. Also, if you run your copper far off to the side with an otter boat you can run a 3 setting dipsey no problem (that's what I do). If youre running your copper off the side of the boat, Rick is right dont run a 3 setting dipsey.

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I just bought some walker tripz divers. This should help me a bit, particularly in the top 40 feet of water.

I'm thinking of running 3 dipseys with 2 settings apart (2L, 0, 2R) and then the tripz diver in the center running over the center dipsey. Maybe will set the center to 0.5L or something so it's not right under the tripz.

Have a look. What's nice is it floats as you release your line and then when you pull back it starts diving. With wire even the size 20 can get to 36 feet deep according to the Precision Trolling book.