breaking down a few miles out?

I started fishing lake Ontario 4 years ago, broke down out in front of oswego in 100 ft of water 1 St thing in the morning (blown drive shaft) had tow company coming to get me, they came out a hour and half later and they broke down ( taking in water) so the coast gaurd was dispatched, make a long story short coast gaurd hooked up to us in 650 ft of water, oh yeah south wind that day, thought we would be drinking Canadian beer by nightfall, next day joined BOAT US for 63 dollars unlimited towing for a year, best money I ever spent, just like AAA on the water

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

That's why my buddy the boat owner bought a kicker this season. We troll with it now and it's a backup as well.

You got it, have a backup kicker or electric even if it just keeps you turned towards the shoreline till help can get there ;)

This is a good topic!

I made a call to the coast guard, I told them I had 3 teenagers on board scared out of their mind. They told me to call a few friends and more or less as long as I wasn't sinking they could not help at that point in time.

I had a similar experience. My very first tournament on lake Ontario about 5 years ago. I had just purchased my boat and it was my first time really using it. Long story short my batteries went dead while trolling on Saturday morning around 9am and I couldn't start either engine :( It was rough and no Rec boaters were out. It was a tournament and no tourney teams would help. It didn't help that nobody knew me, nor really liked my fishing partner I had back then (so I found out later). Coast Guard said the same to us...no help unless we were in danger, which we were not. All I needed was a jump.

Finally, my wife called the Coast Guard office from home and worked her magic. Soon after they sent a huge ship out to pull us in :yes: The whole ordeal was pretty unpleasant but we got in with about 2 minutes to spare under coast guard power and were not dq'd. Even with two engines, it's possible to break down, so Boat US is well worth the money....just in case you can't get another boat to assist.

Just don't ever go out without a working VHF. Be sure to do a radio check while out on the water, and have a fully charged cell phone plus a charger. You also MUST have a working gps! You will need to give coordinates so that you can be found. I carry a back up handheld gps and a back up handheld vhf, just in case. I learned the hard way...when your batteries go dead, none of that stuff works :$

I apologize in advance for being blunt, but here I go...

With the cost of technology these days it's UNSAFE to be out in the lake without a VHF AND a cell phone. A throw away cell phone can be bought for under $30/mo, that's $100 for our entire fishing season and less than most of us spend on food and gas for a single trip. A vhf can be bought for cheap as well. And needing a license for one is no excuse... get the damn licence.

I see too many people with a single power source and no backup plan. I see a lot of people on this thread even that came very close to being in trouble and have probably done nothing to prepare for the next time.

For those depending on others to tow them in, don't. What if it's a weekday? I've broken down twice in the past... the first time was my first time out, it was a new to me boat that had just been fixed up by a mechanic... I made it out to 150fow and the engine died. I called the coast guard, they sent a call to everyone, no one came. There were a few charters in 100 fow that I tried yelling to that wouldnt help. I used a flare, still no help. The coast guard tried calling a tow company, no one available. They asked again if ANY water was coming in, maybe even a few drops ;) I noticed a bit of water in the bilge and they came out and got me. Luckily the lake was flat as glass as this process took 4 or 5 hrs. The second time was my first trip out with Ruff Rider, a BRAND NEW boat. My kicker that I had bought since my first breakdown was in the shop. This was on the hudson and my lower unit blew. I put out a call on the radio and the coast guard stopped by as did the DEC. The aholes on the coast guard boat had the nerve to inspect me and then literally laugh in my face and say good luck and leave. Now remember we were maybe 1000ft from shore. The DEC who were in a glorified row boat vs the CG 24' grady, towed me in.

Moral of the story, anything can happen and the more backup plans you have the better. Boatus tow insurance is less than $100. A kicker is your best bet, gas savings will pay for it in no time. A cell phone and vhf should be as mandatory as a life jacket.

next day joined BOAT US for 63 dollars unlimited towing for a year, best money I ever spent, just like AAA on the water

My boat has two main outboards AND a kicker and I still worry about this. Does BOAT US actually have crafts available to respond 24/7 in a reasonable time?

Thanks,

Doug

next day joined BOAT US for 63 dollars unlimited towing for a year, best money I ever spent, just like AAA on the water

My boat has two main outboards AND a kicker and I still worry about this. Does BOAT US actually have crafts available to respond 24/7 in a reasonable time?

Thanks,

Doug

Check the small print I believe you need to be within a certain distance of one of their "homeports".

Does BOAT US actually have crafts available to respond 24/7 in a reasonable time?

I have no idea, but they claim to have 4 call centers on lake Ontario....from the oak to Oswego. You can buy a premium plan that increases the rescue area. I figure the more cards you have to play the better your chances of getting in. I agree with Nick....be over prepared and don't rely solely on other boaters.

The new USCG VHF systerm 21 is now online. It records all the transmissions on 16 and other channels. It will locate the source of the transmission immediately. The words "mayday" reported three times in a row sets off alarms to follow up on.

Also be aware all other broadcasts are recorded, especially profane, threatening and navigation requests. The use of your VHF on shore is illegal and ther new system will track false calls to save unnecessary searches and enable prosecution of violators.

The BOAT US package I have will tow me within 25 miles from there slip and pay monetary amount for another tow company to tow me if they can't, and they are supposed to put one of there boats on Oneida lake but like I said if I broke down on onieda lake and got towed in by a tow service then my package would reimburse me for that tow, and yes it is 24/7 on Ontario, but u still need a radio and cell phone to contact them and GPS to tell them your coordinates