Licensing Question

We are making our first trip of the season in two weeks. There will be three of us licensed to fish and my 12 year old grandson - total of four fishermen. We will only pull 10 rods. That is an increase over the 8 we towed last year - and we proved we could make a mess pulling 8. We will keep a few fish for the table. but most will go back into the depths of Lake O. The question is, my wife wants to come along and ride on the boat if the lake is fairly smooth. She does not want to handle a rod or pull in a fish. We will not need her to be licensed due to rod count. We will keep less than full limits. Does she need to be licensed? Thanks for your help.

Larry,

as long as she performs no act that could be considered an act of "fishing" she'll be fine. Keep in mind, that includes driving the boat AT ALL, so if there is a fire drill in the back of the boat and she HAS to take the wheel, that could technically be interpreted as "Fishing without a License" should a DEC Officer happen to pull up alongside to check licenses at that particular moment in time and push the issue.

Tim

We are making our first trip of the season in two weeks. There will be three of us licensed to fish and my 12 year old grandson - total of four fishermen. We will only pull 10 rods. That is an increase over the 8 we towed last year - and we proved we could make a mess pulling 8. We will keep a few fish for the table. but most will go back into the depths of Lake O. The question is, my wife wants to come along and ride on the boat if the lake is fairly smooth. She does not want to handle a rod or pull in a fish. We will not need her to be licensed due to rod count. We will keep less than full limits. Does she need to be licensed? Thanks for your help.

No.

She doesn't need a license if shes not fishing.

Glen

G-daddy - Tim is absolutely correct. She can ride along but in no way can she provide any assistance to the attempt to catch a fish. That includes driving the boat while trolling, handing someone the net, etc.

Tom B.

(LongLine)