Purchasing downriggers

I'm in the market for 1-2 downrigger's.

I've looked at Scotty 2116's and Cannon 10 STX's but can't decide on which.

I've also read that probes are the way to go. So if I was to splurge and get a probe, I may have to down size the riggers a bit.

Or maybe I should just get 1 rigger and a probe and cut my teeth in downriggers on 1 thing at a time.

Any suggestions for getting me started?

Oh yeah, thinking ugly stick poles and not sure on the reels.

So much to consider!

I'm not Pro Staff for Scotty but I'd never use anything but. They're a great rigger! As for reels there are lots of choices in level winds but since using Islander MR2 & MR3 mooching reels I wouldn't care if I ever used a level wind again.

How about you buy some second hand riggers until you have more funds available for what you really want and use the saved money for a good probe which is reallywhat helps you once you have your gear down there. As for rods, the $20/25 eagle claw rods also catch plenty of fish.

How about you buy some second hand riggers until you have more funds available for what you really want and use the saved money for a good probe which is reallywhat helps you once you have your gear down there. As for rods, the $20/25 eagle claw rods also catch plenty of fish.

I thought about that but have decided after shopping around for used riggers that I'm gonna buy new. As for the probe, I can hold off on that I guess. Do they make a temp probe that is cheaper than $600?

Couldn't you just take temperatures manually to find the T-cline and then setup the riggers there and watch blow back (angle of lines?) Or is the probe just that much easier?

I thought about that but have decided after shopping around for used riggers that I'm gonna buy new. As for the probe, I can hold off on that I guess. Do they make a temp probe that is cheaper than $600?

Couldn't you just take temperatures manually to find the T-cline and then setup the riggers there and watch blow back (angle of lines?) Or is the probe just that much easier?

Depth Raider and Moor Subtroll 900 are both way less than 600 scoots

http://www.marinegeneral.com/productcat ... ryid=10969

IMO, with the crazy currents we have on Lake O, down speed is much more important than temps.

Tim

Depth Raider and Moor Subtroll 900 are both way less than 600 scoots

http://www.marinegeneral.com/productcat ... ryid=10969

IMO, with the crazy currents we have on Lake O, down speed is much more important than temps.

Tim

yuuuup

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I second the advice to spread money accross used riggers now and buy a probe. Upgrade riggers when money is available such as "Honey, what I really need for Christmas is a (fill in the blank)". There are used riggers all over the place looking for a new gun'l to ride. Heck, I have 2 slow speed Mag 10's with 5 foot stainless beems and a used manual Cannon in my basement. For the price of 2 new riggers, you can get 2 good used riggers, a new probe and rods and reels now. Buy used of the same brand you would like new so that your bases and wiring can stan stay in place. If you buy older Cannons, you can install the new power cords so that you will be ready for a fast swap in the future when money is available.