How are used boats in the $5k range?

genEus

Starting my search for a bigger boat - a search which might take a couple years, who knows. Periodically looking on Craigslist, I run across older boats in the $4k-$5k range, which are seemingly in very good shape, at least in the description. For example, these two:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/3177356485.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/3176744182.html

What's the catch? Is it possible to get a reliable boat that would be GOOD to fish the finger lakes, and OK to fish Ontario on calmer days for $5 grand or so? I am just starting my research, so I don't know if this is a stupid question; be gentle.

Thanks!

my advise is buy something for more that is fully set up.. most the times you can find a nice 17-20 footer set up nice for 8-10

you would spend 2-3k setting these boats up anyway

You mean for fishing gear or what else?

from what I noticed a 10K boat fully outfitted is leaps and bounds better than a 4-5k boat engine wise.... maybe spend the extra on a fully rigged one and sell everything then re rig it lol?

I know the feeling I was looking at that range myself and ended up buying a 4k boat and the motor blew up in the first month and I had to repower with a 12k outboard...

It is really that breaking point where you get crap below and quality above

i have been looking for more room as well and have seen boats all over the place from $2500 and up. heck i just looked at a boat i think was on here that had 10 rods, riggers, like 90 spoons, flashers, files, dipsy's fish finder and depth probe, for like $5k. my problem is i have that plus so its really not needed. is it that the boat is not really in good shape or is a good boat that hard to unload. i m not trying to offend anyone by any means but as i drive around here near home im seeing striped boats for $10k. what gives??? are the few that i have looked at just owened by people with high hopes getting greaty thinking they might get to take someone for a ride.

some advice from others ould be great to hear

Personally I think either boat looks pretty decent from the pictures. The most important thing on an older glass boat is having a survey for the condition of the transom and stringers. If they are bad, it's major bucks! I/O motors are relatively cheap to replace versus and outboard. I'd be more inclined to take a chance on an older I/O than a 150HP + outboard powered boat. An outboard that size will set you back probably 12k or more. Just remember, survey, survey, survey! A few hundred $ loss out of your before purchase is better than a $4000 or $5000 yard ornament.

I/O motors are relatively cheap to replace versus and outboard.

((As an aside - why?))

just the way it is

Maybe because of this? (From Wikipedia)

Maintenance on I/Os is more complicated than outboards in several ways. For example, oil changes can require complicated pumping mechanisms, and engine repairs are often far more complicated than outboards because of incredibly tight spaces in the engine compartment. In some boats the entire engine must be removed to perform otherwise trivial repairs whereas, with an outboard, all one must do is pop off the cover.

I/O motors are relatively cheap to replace versus and outboard.

((As an aside - why?))

because I/O's are typically just marinized chevy engines. For example, you can get a brand new crate carburated 5.7L vortec putting out 315 hp at the crank for under $7K, or an MPI 5.7 Vortec ar 325 HP for under 8K

what would that cost for comparable HP in outboards? 25-30 grand?

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete- ... -p-61.html

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete- ... p-342.html

Tim

O/B's a lot easier to winterize & get going again in the spring. With an out board, you don't have to worry about oil or other cr@p in the bilge. I have yet to hear about an outboard boat toasted due to an engine compartment fire; sinking from a bellows failure; stranded because of a broken alternator belt; dead in the water due to a broken spline. O/B boats a lot easier to sell. Even with a shot motor, the boat is still worth a chunk of change. Check out prices on lower units.

Anyone that can afford the boat that takes the 300 hp outboard can afford the outboard. Any boat with a 300 hp I/O gets some speed. 300 hp O/Bs freaking fly!

I can't afford either so I'll stick with my little 75. Hopefully the darn thing will run tomorrow. :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)