lampreys

Anyone else catching alot of fish with lampreys this year? We got 3 more last weekend out of olcott bringing yearly total to 16. 2 of them were 26" long and around 2" wide, nasty buggers made my fishing partners jump like school girls to get away from them.

Of course they didn't make it back into the lake alive. One was on a king and the other on a brown trout about half its size. Neither fish looked very healthty.

Here's a blurry pic of one of them on the boat floor. This one may actually be longer than 26" ...the section of boat floor it's laying on is 2' wide.

lampry.jpg

Jeff.

Same problem on the Canadian side. I've had at least 10 in the boat this year and a couple that let go of the fish near the boat. I busted the MNR officers chops about it at the dock yesterday - he replied that they have seen no more then usual and that they are confident that there is not an issue.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

We have not had a single one in the boat in our 5 yrs on lake o but we did see a 20 lb king with one

On him jumping out of the water trying to shake it off. We have also caught a few kings with the scars

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

The DFO trap an release for research, but haven't chatted with any of those guys this year (canada side).

Ever watch/read game of thrones? They are always eating lamprey pie lol. Me being the curious type googled it a while back, well let's just say not too appetizing lol

That said I have eaten some weird stuff and I am tempted

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Arrgh gambler first lakers now eels.. whats left Gobies and zebra clams... :lol:

You can knock gobies and zebras off that list Ray. I have caught tons of those over the years. Those gobies make for a fun day of fishing when the perch bite is slow in the fall.

They taste really good!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

so you ate one of Nick's lamprey pies!?!?!? So did I....not really that bad, could have used some hot sauce.

and YES, I have seen more this year and larger than normal. I assumed it was due to the warm winter!