Clayton Walleyes

fishhawk96

Went up to Clayton area the 14th & 15th and had some great days fishing with my dad for bass and walleye. Friday all we could catch were bass, anywhere from 14" to 19.5" before the rains came in the afternoon. Saturday we couldn't get out till 3pm, fished the same area and caught 5 walleye between 18" and 29.5" in less than an hour plus a bunch of smallies. After the storms came Friday night, the current between the islands doubled or tripled from the previous day and that's where we found the walleyes. You can actually see the rip currents in some of the pictures. All fish were caught trolling small cranks in 15 foot or less of water. We decided to release all the fish after a short stay in the livewell to check their condition. We were fishing east of Clayton and Round Island near the narrows.

0915121554ax.jpg

0915121554x.jpg

0915121753x.jpg

0915121755x.jpg

0915121756x.jpg

Fishhawk

Nice catch. Great to see the river giving up some nice eyes and great that you released them :yes: I fished the west side of Carleton last week launching out of Cave Vincent town launch. No eyes...A few non cooperative SM Bass (verivied on Marcum) and several hundred, thats right, several hundred drum stacked up along the wall in 35-65 FOW. No eyes though ;(

Can you launch a lund like yours out of Grass Point now or is it too shallow. Did you have to launch out of Clayton marina? Thanks.

Nice fish. The walleyes have slowed down alot compared to normal years. I am hoping to try it down by the cape next weekend aroud ironman and carlten island never fished down that way but i have heard that the fishing gets good down that way this time of year time will tell. Nice to see your father enjoying it.

Nice fish. The walleyes have slowed down alot compared to normal years. I am hoping to try it down by the cape next weekend aroud ironman and carlten island never fished down that way but i have heard that the fishing gets good down that way this time of year time will tell. Nice to see your father enjoying it.

MH

If you want drum that is definitely the place to be. They are allover the drop off just North East of Roxy Island/Feather bead shoal. After I marked the mother load I had the camera down through that whole area and all I found was Drum.....hundreds of them...again, no eyes.

Tugger, I have a Lund Pro-V SE 1900 and was able to launch out of Cal's Cottages this trip. The water was very low that weekend, in fact, the lowest I can remember for the 25 years we,ve been going to up there. I also rented a slip from Cal's for the trip because they had power at the docks. I wish the rest of the resorts in the area would follow suit and install 110 outlets for us guys with electric motors. Fishhawk96