Otter boats

I've purchased Otter boats for this season and want to know how to best use them. Can I run two lines off each, can I run Dipsy divers off them if I get the second keel or is the second keel not necessary. I was also thinking of running copper lead core off them for king season. I was also wondering if I could run spoons or would I need extra weight to keep spoons down. I've learned so much from LOU and thank all members for help you have offered. One more thing, what are the best releases to use. Thanks again.

Spoons should be ran on dipsys or on riggers they won't get down more than a foot without anything helping them. I know there are a lot of guys that run copper off boards so you should be fine with leadcore.

What time of year are you using the boards, spring browns?

I hope you weren't planning on running them in the summer because there is no way you can get down without running lots of copper or leadcore. Not sure about the 2nd keel. I think there have been guys running small dipsys off boards but the bigger ones pull to hard and won't work no matter how many keels you run. You may want to 2 or 4 dipsy rods with spoons and just forget the boards.

1.) Otter boats are great - make sure you have your tow rope a little further forward towards the front of the otter (tie the small loop so that its closer to the front of the otter boat vs. the back) otherwise it won't pull properly. See the instructions in the box wehn it talks about the length of each segment in between the loop of the rope attached to the otter boat.

2.) Get the second keel if you are going to run copper, otherwise the board pulls too far back.

3.) If you run spoons, you will need to add a keel weight or split shot to your fishing line about 6-8' in front of the spoon, otherwise the spoon will just drag on the surface.

Good luck,

- Chris

If you just running stickbaits in the spring for browns you can easily run 3 off each side. I was thinking you were going to try and run these for kings in the summer months. I have a homemade set of boards that probably pull about as hard as the otters and we run 4 lines per side all deep divers.

Set your Otters up with 9" from the front hole to the knot, and 11" from the knot to the back hole. You can run 4 flatlines off each board easily if you are running sticks/spoons for BT. If you want to pull copper and core I would recommend the 2nd keel with a half weight, but it's not necessary. We've pulled 700' of copper with ours just fine.

I've never run divers off my boards, so I can't comment on that. For running spoons off them all it requires is one decent split shot 3-8' ahead of the spoon to keep it down. Very deadly presentation!

If I run that many lines off each boat how do you stagger them so they don't get tangled and how much line from release to lure? I also would like to know how fare to run board from the boat. Sorry for all the questions, Can't wait till I have more experience so I can give back and help others instead of asking a million questions. Thanks again.

If you are running flat lines for browns, run the farthest line from the boat the farthest back. Make them progressively shorter as you come closer to the boat. If you wanted to run 3 lines you could set the outside line at 150,(amt. of line from release to lure) next at approx 120 and the inside line at 80 or 90. It is all personal preference. This way if a fish hits the outside line he "should" swing back into the middle of the spread and not tangle the other lines so you can fight him up the chute.

Hope this helps.

DJ

tow line helps to stagger them also the fish will tell ya how long a leader they want (water clarity is big part also )

water conditions and number of boats determine how far out to run the otter

typically i start 150' out from boat

run couple lines 100' back then couple 50' back and couple inbetween somewhere

You're releases will slide down the tow line as much or as little as you want. Depending how much line you let out from the tip to the release. So you can control how much to space them. I wouldn't run the 2 rods straight behind the boat. Run them all on the planer board. Straight behind the lures will be all over the place tangling with others or snagging bottom. Trust me...been there~done it! I ran 3 sticks off each side for browns with single keels. Now I have the second keel. I highly recommend them!! They pull out to the side much better! If you have a seat mount mast: put a couple tie straps (not too tight) off the front. You don't want that puppy getting yanked out. Had that experience too! Luckily my buddy caught it before it knocked me unconscious/overboard while setting a rigger.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png