Heading out end of month for Browns and was wondering how to add a Coho presentation to the mix. I bought a orange spin doc (small) and a bunch of flies last yr. haven't run them yet and wasn't sure how to add them to the presentation of spring brown planer board and rigger program. I'm assuming I'd probably have to sneak out a little deeper water and probably run the spin doc off the rigger. Would I follow the typical 100" rule for set back off the rigger (30 down 7o back for example) or not? Also fly length from spin doc. What is recommended for the smaller spin doc's for fly set back distance? Would I be better off targeting browns in the skinny water then moving out to target just salmon or would a combination program work out deeper? I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't work and I should target browns inside then move out looking for kings and coho and what ever else in slightly deeper water.......Thanks for any help.

Spike

no, coho are not the least bit boat shy and they'll be right there in the shallows with the browns, in fact, a good place to run a coho rig in your spread is off a rigger right in the prop wash, directly behind the boat 2-3 feet down and 10-15' back.  For the fly leader on a small doctor, same ratio as a bigger spin doctor, about 3X.  I usually run a peanut fly 15-18" behind a 5" doctor.

Tim

Exactly as Tim said 10-15' back and 2' down. That is what is great about HO's in the spring is most of the time you can see them hit the fly. We have had them hit 5' form the boat on the surface while bringing in the line.

That is great to know. I'll plan on one rigger parked in the prop wash. I only have an orange doc as I read that was a good color. I have a bunch of the peanut flies. Any color recommendation there?

Thanks, I love this site. So much help and no attitudes. This site and the fisherman I have run into out in NY are some of the most helpful I have ever run into.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike

• 2 weeks later...