When to respool new line

I've got a set of downrigger rods that I respooled 2 years ago with 20 lb mono.  This set was fished with twice, then put away, never moving last year.  They have been stored in the garage (not climate controlled) since.   What's the thoughts on needing to spool new line on these?  Does leaving mono in a garage with the high and low temps degrade it?

It can if they are in sunlight especially... but since they had such light previous use (and if not in DIRECT sunlight I'd just pull off about 25ft of line off them and go with them....Should be no problem especially with larger diameter line like that....if it was 4 lb test I'd change them out just be be safe but not for 20lb. Incidentally, I've done it for a long time without any line failures....

I'd get someone to hold the rod while i wind off about 25 ft and let the line run between my finger & thumb.  If you get any whitish color residue then throw that line out.  It's the plastizier comming out.  Other wise go ahead & use it.  Not so much cold temps, but hot temps can destroy the line.  Mono will dry out.

One trick some guys use is to wind that line onto a 3rd reel and use the 3rd reel.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom brought up a good point...if you see white powdery residue on the outer coating of the line you don't want to use that part as it is oxidation and it weakens the line. I guess what I was getting at is that the line UNDERNEATH the small amount taken off hasn't been exposed to the sunlight (i.e. UV damage) or directly to the heat so it is probably in good shape if only a couple years old with little previous use....look for abrasions as well and sever there it if found. If you think it is a problem I'd replace with Berkely Big Game line (about $8 or $9 for 660 yds.) the stuff is designed for salt water conditions (tough) and is quite abrasion resistant and is a real bargain for the money in my view. I think it outperforms the other lines I've used which are much more expensive and don't hold up nearly as well.

Buy yourself a spool of 20# big game for 10$ fill up your two reels and you won't have to worry about it why take the chance of breaking off 20$ worth of gear and a fish

Edited by tangleweed1

For the price of a spool of new line I always respool every year. The way I look at it is, if you take a chance with old line and loose one setup it will cost anywhere from $8-$30 to replace the setup depending on what you are running. The 8-15 bucks for new line is assurance and peace of mind

the problem with mono is it really expands and contracts with hot and cold.  the garage will only compound this, when you take a couple hundred feet off you will see the line might look all bunchey or clumpy from the expanding, it won't look smooth any more.   I tryed to run heavy mono on planner boards and the mono destroyed my planner reels, think about it, spring time at 1:00 pm you wind the planner in and it 70 degrees and at night it might get down  below freezing and crunch, shrinks and crushes the spool. Off subject little, same affect, it will shrink into itself.

I don't replace my line until is gets low, might be 2-4 years but I take care of it...

anyway, lol replace it...

Thanks

Capt. Dave