19 Strand wire on a SG47 Daiwa?

I tried spooling 1000' of the 19 strand torpedo stainless wire on a SG47LC Daiwa and all 1000' does not want to fit. I tried loading it as tight as possible, but I know that it will get tighter once I deploy all of it in the water and respool it under tension. My question is, will all 1000' fit? I'd hate to cut off the remainder that didn't make it onto the reel, only to have space once the reel is tightly loaded. I know 1000' of normal 7 strand stainless wire will fit on this reel, didn't think that the 19 strand would be that different.

The diameter of that wire must be larger. Did you use backing as well (maybe too much)? Sometimes if the level wind isn't positioned right on the spool when you start out it lays the wire on kinda sideways too. Is it the usual 30 lb test or something bigger? I put 1000 ft of 30 lb. test 7 strand wire on my new 47LCSG3 with 100 ft plus of backing on it as well and it fit perfectly...must be the line diameter. I'd try to find out the line diameter of it and compare with  types of 7 strand and see what the difference is....

P.S. If you end up liking  the wire I wouldn't worry all that much about having 1000 ft on it...the more important thing would be filling the spool to the level that the line counter will be as accurate as possible. I don't think you'll be encountering many situations in fresh water where 1000 ft of wire will be out.

Edited by Sk8man

No, I did not use any backing, the wire is tied directly to the spool with duct tape wrapped over the knot once around the spool to give the wire some bite. The 19 strand is a little thicker than the 7 strand, I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

The diameter can make a huge difference in spool capacity whether wire or anything else for that matter. If it is VISIBLY larger that's probably it...

Both the Torpedo 7 strand and the 19 strand are listed as .015 in diameter but the 19 strand has a higher breaking strength (as tested here: 

)  Their website just says that it's rounder than 7 strand.

You could send "MATHEW" a PM and ask.  He's the owner of Torpedo Divers...

Edited by Mortigan

No it is quite a bit thicker.  I was able to .get probably between 900' and 950'on a 47LC over the weekend, which filled the spool completely and in reality, is more than enough.  If I get a fish on that takes that much wire, I'd better be chasing it anyway :)

It sounds like a lot of guys put a little backing behind wire on an Okuma 30 size to fill the spool up, I'd bet 1000' of Torpedo 19 strand fits perfectly on one of those.

Tim

FWIW a 1000 foot spool of 30 lb Malin has always perfectly filled my SG47LCa's and I believe that is .015.

It looks like not more than 50 feet of wire lift on the spool in my pic above, so I'm not  really worried about it, just mildly irritating having that little bit of wire left on the spool.  Maybe I'll use it for pike leaders on my tip ups :)

Tim