Topside Paint

Just Fishin'

I need to paint over the faded/cracked/chipped topside paint on my gunnels and cockpit floor. Existing paint has non skid characteristics that I certainly will be repeating. Anyone have any paint brand recommendations?

Just about any two-part deck finish non-skid system will do a great job for a deck that will see fish blood and aluminum net hoops. There's no need to break the bank.

Topsides are another story. This is where you may want to go high-end as the more expensive formulations of topside finishes will hold up better over time to the constant bathing of UV rays they will be exposed to. I've had great results using Epifanes two-part polyurethane topsides finish system over their epoxy primer.

It was very straightforward. Wash, clean up rust stains, drysand with 220 and repair anything that needs attention, wipe down with degreaser/acetone, apply epoxy primer, wetsand with 400, wipe down with degreaser/acetone, first coat finish, wetsand with 600, second coat, rub out. Looks like a mirror. Took me a couple weekends on my previous boat (26').

Had a window to get the project done over the weekend. On a newer boat I would definitely follow John's advice on the 2 part approach. On this boat, the bow area had previously been painted with a one step product so I was just adding to that. Unfortunately, West only had quarts of Interlux so I went with the West product, in a gallon can, as a 2nd choice. With constant stirring the product went on great and looks awesome. Time will tell how it holds up but for now it feels and looks like a new boat. Thanks for everyone's advice.