wooden bunks on boat trailer

maisie

After bringing in our boat from a fishing trip we noticed one of the bunks on our trailer was sideways.  It seems like we need to replace these.  any ideas as to where or how.  we were thinking of finding a place to dock the boat for a few days and then fixing the boat trailer after wards.

Did that a long time ago on an older boat we owned, parked it at a friends dock and replaced the bunks with treated wood and indoor outdoor carpet, worked good and lasted for years until we sold her. Many brands of carpet out there, buy good stuff or it will not last.

Be careful with that stuff. Boat goes on easy...but it also will slide right off too so dont unhook the bow eye at the top of the ramp or u WILL be one of those pics on the internet that everyone laughs at!

They make bunk specific carpet for a reason...If you go with carpet get the right stuff so it doesnt rot prematurely. stays wet a long time each time after you pull the boat out

Edited by NitroMusky

Good cautionary point....I had assumed he would read the reviews if interested in it and would have seen the info in the reviews as you apparently did.

I was able to change bunks on my old trophy with out removing boat from trailer.   I jacked up one side and blocked it then slide one bunk out and built a new one and installed it.  Then I repeated the process on the other side.  I never had to take the whole trailer out from the boat.  Beauty of it was I did it in my driveway in front of the garage where all my tools are located so it worked out well.

-Jeremy

This is not a hard job, I got all my wood ready, carpet glued and even got all new bolts ready before going to the boat ramp.

I parked the boat on the dock in Sackets Harbor and changed the boards.  About an hour job and even got some fishing in while the glue/bolts dried.  If you can get everything ready ahead of time, it should not be hard.