Lk Ontario Fishing Advice for May (Location and Species)

pmjasper

Hi guys. Well last year was my first trip up from NJ to fish Lake Ontario and needless to say it didn't go as expected. A friend and I went during mid May out of Sodus Point and planned to troll for trout and salmon but a day before we arrived a cold front, dropping temps by 15-20 degrees, came in and ruined the trolling that had been fairly consistent the weeks before. We opted to fish the bay and salvaged the trip fishing for largemouth and pike.

This year I have the week of May 19th through the 23rd off and was thinking of heading back up to give it another shot. The key thing here is that I am fishing out of a 16 ft aluminum (equipped with downriggers) so my range is fairly limited. I'd love to go out and hit a few salmon (chinooks or coho) and was wondering what my best plan of attack should be. Should I again go out of the Sodus Point area or should I look further west? I would love to troll for salmon but am willing to go for whatever species (walleye, pike, etc.) would provide a nice trip. I do feel that whatever port we end up staying at, that it is imperitive that a sheltered location such as a bay, river or some other protected water be available to fall back on should the weather not cooperate. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you Bill. Any place to get out of the wind if it's blowing?

Last year was up for three days and wind blew for 2 3/4 days. The great bass fishing saved the day but it wasn't really what we were looking for. Managed one tiny chinook and one steelhead when the weather allowed us to venture to the 120 foot mark. I guess that's the problem with the 16fter but it will have to do for now. Thanks again for the info.

yo dude i gave you the same west thing last year and no you didnt listen.i also would tell ya olcott theres a little hotel just about 300 yds from the launch and its pretty cheep,in case you havent figured it out by now im always looking for a excuse to go fishing ,and its a little early for the buffy weather so your safe there. give me a call if your a little concerened your gonna get too much wind for your boat and ill try to help ya out .dont go without a couple coho rigs ,...............Ray K. 607 769 7947 ............

Yeah Ray, I remember you mentioned going farther west but last year I already had the lodge booked before I got on this site. I wasn't sure if I was heading up there this year but thought I'd like to give it a shot again. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so to speak. Thanks again.

Thanks again guys. Last year I went up with my future father-in-law and I hoped we would get into some chinooks. Trolling really isn't his thing but when I told him how hard chinooks fight, he was all for giving it a shot. That's why this year I'd really like to do my best to put him in the best situation to catch a few salmon out of his own boat.

Ray, I really appreciate your kind offer. If you remember the name of the hotel your speaking of and could let me know, that would be great. Thanks again for everything.

[email protected]

Plan on using Dipsey divers on a "3" setting, inline side planers with leadcore and flourocarbon leaders. Keep the lures away from the track of the boat. Let the boat herd the fish off to the side where your lures will be coming through.

I have a few dipseys but last year the reports stated that the cohos and steelies were up high in the water column. When I used the dipseys, setting them high up in the water column based on the depth chart provided, they seemed way too close to the boat (most times I could see the dipsey) to have a fish come and take the lure. As I let more line out to get the dipsey away from the boat, the deeper the rig went in the water column. I didn't feel confident with the dipsey setup so I scraped it for the downriggers and in-line planer boards. The only steelie I took trolling last trip came on a small orange spoon set on 150' lead off the rigger 5 feet down and a tiny chinook caught on a stinger set on a 40' lead off the rigger 65' down. At least I felt the 150' lead gave a good enough distance away from the boat to get hit.

I would either stay in Wilson or on the Niagra. Both will give you fishing opportunities if the lake is too rough. The Salmon/coho bite is great that time of the year, border to olcott. Spoons, Flasher/ Flies, sticks. Should be a great time. Follow the pack till you find your way to fish. Should be a lot of guys there for pre pro-am fishing :D

I was looking into the Lake Ontario Motel in the Wilson Olcott area. Anyone ever stayed there? Any other suggestions?

Again, I would be trailering up a 16 foot boat and need a place to store the boat and trailer. Last year, it cost my father-in-law and I $25 a night, per person, to stay in Sodus Point. I was hoping to stay in that general price range.

[email protected]

Harbor hotel in olcott will be opening around apr 1st 45.oo a night 1or 2 people 5.oo per extra person .ant no hilton but the price will fit any budget its close to the launch.across the road you dont need to break down your rig .and there is a resturant there and a beverage store and gas also.

My vote is also for out west. I will be at the bar the following weekend. I have had great trips your week and the week I am going for the last four years. I fish out of a 19' multi species boat (Smokercraft 19 ultima)

Good luck and have fun

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Just attempting to finalize plans out in the Wilson/Olcott region of Lk Ontario and was wondering a few things.

First, does anyone have any recommendations or first hand experiences with charters out that way?

We are still planning to trailer up my father-in-laws 16ft aluminum boat and if the weather didn't cooperate on the main lake, what would be my options in the general vacinity (bays, river, etc)?

Lastly, if we were to fish the Niagara River, what species are available during the May 19-23 timeframe and what tactics are most commonly used in the river?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

[email protected]

Thanks Rob I'll try to puruse that site as well.

As I have mentioned, last year my father-in-law and I fished Sodus Bay (out of desperation) and had a good time catching plenty of LM bass and a few stray pike. We didn't catch any large pike but my father-in-law got his first so he was happy. Seeing how well that trip ended up working out, we have toyed with the idea of trying an find a good quality lake or bay that holds pike and giving that a shot. Again we would be heading up during mid May (19th-21st, leaving the 22nd) and fishing out of our 16ft aluminum with 9.9 motor.

I'm really trying my best to plan a fun trip for my father-in-law. I will be the first to admit that I am all over the board with totally different fishing options because he and I have discussed trying the Wilson/Olcott area for salmon, going back to Sodus Bay and trying the bass and pike again, fishing the Mexico area for browns (chartered) or trying a totally different lake for big pike.

The things I am considering are that my father-in-law really isn't a big time proponent of trolling but he has stated that he would love to catch a chinook at some point. He's been up there three or four times trying for them without success (boat and river).

Secondly, the 16fter is great but it does limit what we can do on the big lake (always having to keep weather in mind) and having a backup plan nearby should the conditions not allow us to get out on the big lake. That is the reason that Sodus appeals to us, as although it doesn't seem to be a big spring-time chinook area, there always is the option to fish the bay for bass and pike. Fresh in my father-in-laws mind is the massive cold front and windy conditions that dropped temps 15-20 degrees during the same time period we went up last year, allowing us get out on the big lake for only a few hours one day and all but killing the good salmon fishng that was there days before we arrived.

We have talked about possibly chartering a boat for one of the days we are up there but the cost is a factor as to what we can do. The best we found so far is a 6hr charter out for the Salmon River area for browns, with two nights of lodging for $425. It's not a bad deal but we were not really sure if we wanted to target browns, although we haven't tossed out the idea.

I do apologize to all for basically throwing out many different ideas on what we should do and where we should head but I just want to do everything in my power to provide my father-in-law with a trip that he can enjoy. When you only fish upstate once a year, it is difficult to gather information and plan what's best for your party.

That is why I truly appreciate all the insight and suggestions that those here on the board have given me. Thanks again.

[email protected]

Give captain Jim Taylor of Hawg Master charters a call at 800-464-0103.He runs out of Olcott with a 28' sportcraft for lake fishing,and also runs a lund river boat on the Niagara river.

He's a very accomplished lake and river fisherman,and a super guy,he tells great stories,and catches fish.Just tell him that John and Bob from Massachusetts sent you,if you call him.

pmjasper,

if you are still interested in a charter in may up a the "bar". let me know, I'm up there for 5 weeks 8) If i am booked the day you are interested i can put you on with another good captain.