Nice day on Canandaigua but they were fussy

Got on the water at 5AM and trolled south from the pump station to Menteth Point  then across to Pelican and south along the east shore. Nothing at all on west side in the way of fish....only one pod of bait marked. The east side was  a different story .....marked massive pods of bait mostly in 50-75 ft water with many fish mixed in some ....large ones suspended in and near the bait and a bunch on and near the bottom....looking like lakers taking a nap :)  I messed with them with a variety of lures , attractors and distances on lead core, wire , dipseys and spin docs with no takers. I then went to downriggers and for a long while back and forth through the bait and the fish no followers and no takers. I then went slightly shallower....40 -60 ft and set the riggers about10 ft off the bottom ....shore side rigger goes of and then the arial show started.....bow jumped at least six times and took out the drag after each time....he fought his heart out and was totally spent when he reached the boat and my efforts to revive him were to no avail. .... so in the box he went.....and that was the end of the action and story.  Tough day on the pond....think I should have gone to Seneca and joined the other lucky dudes :lol:  Here's my fighting buddy anyway...I figured he at least deserved a pic despite not being quite the trophy he tried to be.

post-145411-0-17628800-1370813599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Ed.... I know you've probably been there too.....at least it was a beautiful day...after all that darned rain.. I forgot to mention that there was quite a bit of "cotton" on the surface but it was fishable a least.

I fished today as well marked a lot of fish but could not get them to hit. Have fished hard with very little results. Tried everything and today even tried saw bellies. Still no takers. Very frustrated. Hope it turns around soon. Ca is my home so I need to make it work.

Sk8man,

I believe I was close to you in the north end, I was the light blue Tidewater CC. I was in tighter on the west side by Meneth heading south. Decent bait in 75 FOW but the fishing was slow for me as well. Couple small rainbows and one good rip on the dipsey and that was it for me. Then out came the pleasure boats and jet skis.

Should be turning on really soon.

Good luck.

ssafran21 - I think I did see you...we've just got to stay at it....I think they are about to turn on soon here. You are right about the recreational boaters....most of them don't have a clue about boating...especially the jet skiers. In the past I've had them go right over my lines...after 11 AM or so it's their lake....it makes me remember WHY I used to night fish at the south end :lol:

Hey Les,  thanks for the report.   I'm looking to get out on Canandaigua Sat morn.  Hope I'll have some luck.  At this point - I might have to tie my boat to a tree in my yard so it doesn't start floating away with all this rain before Sat!!!!   :rofl: