Fillet knife

I'm looking to buy a new fillet knife. The one I want to buy is just like the knife that the fish cleaner guy in Oswego harbor uses. Does anybody know the brand and the length of the knife he uses?

Thanks, Cornelis.

Thank you for your replies.

The Oswego guy is a sight to behold. He usually works in the Oswego harbor fish cleaning station. He uses this 12 or 14 inch scimitar shaped knife( probably a Forschner). The first time I saw him I was flabbergasted and just stood there for a few minutes to watch him perform his art. With just a very few very deft strokes of his knife, all executed within half a minute, he transforms very large salmon into perfect boneless clean cut and tasty looking fillets. The man is a master of his trade.

Although I will probably never reach his level of perfection, I want to use the same knife and give it to myself for father's day.

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops

I have used a 9 inch and 10 inch blade for years and thought I needed 11 or more....not anymore, I do any size salmon with a 6 or seven inch blade. Way more boneless meat than hogging off a side in one swipe, and a nearly see through skeleton when done. It is a method I have adopted from fillets of flounder I have done before. Never thought it could be that easy with only a 7 inch shrade fillet knife. It is a little more time-consuming, (about 3 minutes per side) but it is the best tribute to the slain kings I can give for saving as much as possible, and eating its fleshy goodness.

Mark

I just ordered a 12 inch Forscher off the Katom website.

Thanks to all you guys for your advise and opinions,

Cornelis.

(I wonder how long it will take before I try to use it as a screw driver).

• 10 months later...