Mounting a track system

magic7777

I have a Starcraft Chieftian which is like a Islander that I want to mount a track system on the gunnel. Would you use wood and metal backing ? Can you use a rod tree with a planer reel and pulley in the track or should it be mounted seperate with a backer ? What about stress from the planer board pulling ? Any input and pics would be appreciated. TIA Dave

I had metal plates made at a fabricating shop, they are bolted to the track under the gunnel. They were  inexpensive. I use otter boards off big jon down riggers, just tip up the mast and with otter boards there is little stress on the masts. I have an extra pair of reels in case I choose to use the rigger and not the planer boards.

I used that synthetic decking material.  My dad had some shorts left over from building a small deck.  I just drilled holes and put some nice Stainless steel fender washers with nylon nuts.  Haven't loosened up in 2 years and will never rot.

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks guys. Frisco good idea but riggers don't tip up. Early riser the board sounds like a good idea also. And Chase the decking is a good one I never thought of that one and I think my neighbor might have some. Did you have your planer post mounted off of these. I'm concerned about the pull and stress. TIA Dave

Dave is looking for opinions on how to make a track system function as a mount for a planer board mast (each side). He has been advised that there would likely be too much torque on the gunnel if this is attempted. What do you other fishermen advise?

Some manufacturers make single planer masts that have bases to fit the various track systems. Great Lakes Planers makes a nice product and has "trees" or an arch which is essentially trees with a bar between them. The arch option would help prevent the outward stress you are worried about. Or you could get taller trees and run a rope from one to the other tying them together.

If the tracks will allow a "far enough forward" placement of the trees/masts and you have them backed up I'd go for it.

Thanks Andy. I spoke to Tony @ Great Lakes and he had concerns about the gunnel without the arch which I can't use over my canopy(to high) and don't want to put it behind it and cut into the fishing area. One suggestion was to run a mast off the front with a pulley back to the reel on a short tree  and backer under the track. Thanks for your suggestions. Dave

On my 22' Penn Yan I had a mast in the bow and the lines ran back to reels mounted on Traxstech net holders in the track. The net holders are straight up and more rugged than the fixed rodholder. Ran it that way for 2 years until I got an arch. The mast in the bow was mounted through some boards u-bolted to the bow rail. The mast mount was setup that way when I bought the boat.

Edited by Broadhorizons

Actually when I bought the 22' the mast had the weedwacker line tied directly to the mast, no reels involved. There was a grabline to pull the towline to you for setting releases and handlining the board in. There were hooks attached to the canvas framing to wrap the towline on when not in use.

If tracks hold downriggers with weights suspended off booms I would think they would hold a planer mast no problem. If you run the mast up front use tag lines to pull the line to the working area of the boat for setting lines, then release it back to it's natural path after the line is set. I use glass rings used in outrigger rigging attached to my tag line to pand some cam cleats to hold the line if needed. Works great.

Spike

Thanks Andy. I agree with you Spike but the concern from the mfg. is the side pull and stress  on the metal bunnel. Not familiar with the glass rings. I will try and look them up. Looks like the safe way is with the planer board boom up front if you don't run a arch. Thanks Guys