Fishhawk vs. Depth Raider

I have owned a fishhawk for 10 years and I really like that it does not use coated cable. I purchased a used Baha 286 sportfish this winter and I am outfitting it. Fishhawk is suppose to come out with a newly designed unit early this spring but I cannot get any info. on when it will be available. The marina where I purchased the boat is installing all my equipment. The question is should I wait for the fishhawk or get the depth raider? I had a Moor subtroll years ago but I hated the coated cable and lost several probes because the cable broke.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve Cuddeback

Wilson, NY

I've owned a Depth Raider for 2 years and love it! Zero problems and great battery life. From what I've read from this site and other sites, the Depth Raider seams to be a better product. and it costs much less.

Also, you could call Fishhawk directly and find out if they are coming out with an improved model and if so, what's improved and what's the cost. Good luck!

Brian(Goin Deep)

I saw the new fish hawk this past weekend at the Triple S show. Its a smaller probe and its white. When a company changes something its usually because their product has become obsolete, or it was a bad design. You've all heard the saying that if its not broke don't fix it. Well, the fish hawk for many people was nothing but aggravation. I'm not knocking the product because a lot of guys still run it with great success. However, you cant beat a Moor or the Depth Raider. Put a 15lb shark on that cable and it will be less blow back than a FH with regular cable. I ran this set up all last year and it rocked! I hadn't fished with a probe in a few years. What a difference!

Thank you everyone for your help. I have called fishhawk on several occasions and have yet to get a return call. When you saw the unit at the Triple S show did they indicate when it might be available? What are the advantages that the depth raider has over the fishhawk? I really hate the coated cable, this is the reason I am interested in the new fishhawk. If the advantages are overwelming then I will live with the coated cable.

I've owned a Fish Hawk and I replaced it very quickly with a Depth Raider. The major advantages of the DR over the FH are that a single 9v battery will last you an entire year on the DR, not a single trip like on the FH. The FH operates much like a sonar unit and requires that you mount a transducer to the back of your boat, whereas the DR, Moor, and the Cannon all use a coated cable to transmit the signal. The coated cable will work a whole lot deeper than the FH ever will. I have run my DR down 150'+ and not lost signal. Try doing that with your Fish Hawk. Like YT says, just run a 15# Shark and there won't be much blow back.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have called fishhawk on several occasions and have yet to get a return call. When you saw the unit at the Triple S show did they indicate when it might be available? What are the advantages that the depth raider has over the fishhawk? I really hate the coated cable, this is the reason I am interested in the new fishhawk. If the advantages are overwelming then I will live with the coated cable.

Steve: After running a Hawk for over 15 years daily with down time in between for constant repairs. Here are several advantages. Constant LCD read out. Both temp. & speed. No more having to average it out when the speed on the hawk is bouncing around. Ease of installation, no transd. to mount one cable from the rigger to the head and two power wires for the head. The whole system can be rigged in less than an hr. including the coated cable and you don't have to pull the boat or drill more holes in the transom. As far as the coated cable goes unless your stacking on it (I don't) I see & have no problems altho I kn some guys that do stack without any trouble. Last but not least. Price, support if you should have a problem is excellent, sealed electronics in the probe. If by chance the o-ring should leak. The only place it can get to is the battery compartment. Not the main board.

Dam Missed my callin. Should of been a salesman. :shock: :lol:

Steve,

just curious what you hate so much about the coated cable. I'm also a fish hawk to Depth Raider convert (2 seasons now) and the cable has been a non issue. One thing though is, do not unse the thimble and crimps to connect it. If you use the modified tru-trac Klincher terminator set up, you can take the probe off every trip and you don't have the crimps cutting the cable. If the coating wears, you just cut a couple feet of cable off and redo the Klincher.

here's a pic of the setup that was on the GLA board a couple years ago

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

just drill out the rivet holding the snap swivel and replace it with a SS machine screw and a couple SS washers. I use a SS nylock nut. leave a long tag end out the top of the Klincher and add a ring terminal to connect it to the screw.

I know tru trac went bellyup last year, but someone else is now making those terminal ends (can't remember who of the top of my head), I'm sure someone here will chime in with who that is.

Tim

TONS more consistent. They worked out an algorithm that smoothed out the display a lot. Additionally, the display size is a lot larger on the DR than it on on the FH.

If you were losing probes, my guess would be that there was some issue with your crimps and the thimble. This new method works very very well and I haven't lost a probe due to it.

The coating definitely can be scraped off if you cross riggers, but liquid electrical tape will cover most small nicks.

The way I look at it is this: The coated cable does require some care & attention, but its the price you have to pay to get a probe that is dead-nuts reliable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone ever come across a terminator kit similiar to the tru trac? We just lost our third probe in two years and I would like to make it our last. We ran the fish hawk for 5 years previous and never had any problems. However, the depth raider provides a much more consistent reading hands down. Wanted to try the setup recommended in this thread.

Thanks guys in advance.