The difference between a stacker and a slider?

So I'm confused on what a slider exactly is. Obviously with a stack your running two rods and that seems simple to me. Something is confusing me here as to what a slider is and what it does. I only have one downrigger at the time being on the boat so I'm trying to get as many rods out as possible down deep. Any help or tips would be great. There are a few videos online but there still making it confusing to me as to how it is actually clipped to your line and your downrigger cable. Don't understand it or I'm missin something here

A slider is another spoon on a 6' or so leader that is clipped to the main line above the down rigger release.  You put the first spoon back of the release, clip it in the release, let it dow to the desired depth, take your slider (6' leader with a swivel on both ends) clip it on the main line to the rod and throw it overboard.  The slider will slide down the line roughly halfway to the rigger (depends on how tight you tighten the rod down). 

Stacking refers to multiple rods on a rigger, all with a relatively fixed position in depth. Spider is usually as Gambler described. Now many stack and run a slider on the upper line same time. 

A slider is a piece of mono or fluoro with a snapswivel at each end.(length depends on opinion...6 or 8 ft or longer)  Snap a spoon on one end and snap the swivel(other end) around the line from your rod tip to the release at the end of your rigger cable.  This lead will slide 50% to 70% down your line distance and will create sort of a seth green or thermocline rig if you will.

Gambler makes it a more clear I guess...anywho..Theoretically no.... the slider will slide down to the other swivel and everything will come in clean....In the event you do not get a fish on and you are ready to bring your rod with a slider  back to the boat bring it in slow till the slider has made contact with the other swivel.....otherwise  you may have a whole lot of untwisting to do.

Edited by apb

So this basically will just stay 20 ft or so above your rigger ball and hover up an down. Kind of get it now. Fish will hit that, release the clip from your rigger ball and slide back to the next spoon, so I'm assuming you have to crank your ass off in the beginning to pick up the slack.

If a fish hits your slider, it will usually just bounce the end of the rigger rod a lot and not release the line from the rigger release unless your release is set light or it's a big fish.  When you see your down rigger rod starting to just bounce up and down. give your rod a pretty good "rip" to try and get the hook set on the slider lure and out of the release and reel like a maniac until the slider slides down to your last lure.  On average you'll miss more fish on a slider than on your other setups.

Yeah, I have had multiple occasions where I had two steelies take the main and the slider same time. Never though when they weren't less than about 7 pounds combined. Always wondered how long two kings would play nice before breaking me off, lol.

sometimes at least in the finger lakes a Land lock or rainbow will hit the slider and be out of the water before you see the rod move.  you gotta reel like hell and sometimes when you catch up the fish is 10 feet behind the boat and still green makes a hell of a mess if it can circle the dipsey than swing inside of your rigger cable.  I also had a small land lock once eat both sliders on each of the rigger rods that was interesting.