Trolling with Smithwicks

Trolling speed is probably a large factor to consider here but usually if I wanted it to vibrate in the water with a tighter "flutter" back and forth I used the nose itself (generally trolling slower too) when I want it to have more back and forth to it I use the split ring and it seems to tolerate a little higher speed.  I don't use them all that much trolling anymore for trout but do use them for casting for walleyes in the Spring from shore (docks) and I normally use them with a Kwik Klip or very small Duolock on the nose itself in that case.

my personal findings are the rapala loop is far better than using a snap or cross lock. i have taken the time to tye most of my sticks with two ft of floro and a small barrel. changing is as easy as changing a spoon. smithwick rattling rouge, green with black splatter, is the top dog on my boat !! 

Smithwicks are similar but have a different finish which resembles indented scales like aluminum foil in appearance....kinda hard to describe...they are also perhaps a little broader in back of the head and across the back. They usually have a bb inside that rattles. Some have a red spot near the  rear lower tail area.

Smithwick " Rattlin' Rogues" are hollow plastic bodies with bb's in them and make a lot of noise in the water.  When I'm trolling the shoreline for browns in the spring, they are my favorites in a good mudline because they make a lot of noise.  I use a round duolock snap to the lure with a fluoro leader and a #10 spro power swivel to the main line.  I don''t like having a heavy snap swivel at the nose of a stickbait and  the duolock snap doesn't affect the action.

I have also caught kings on them in the spring off the riggers.  the Biggest problem with them are the small soft split rings on the hooks, they should be swapped out with stainless rings.

my favorite is a pattern that they used to call a "log perch" they still make it with a different name now (tiger minnow I think)  it is an almost perfect imitation of a goby.

P4190002.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Ditto on Tim's comments. I also found a couple of the ones with the finish I was talking about in one of my old tackle boxes

post-145411-0-94880500-1373384117_thumb.jpg

Tim-

What ss rings do you use? We caught a 12 lb brown earlier in the season that opened up one of the split rings. So it makes sense to change them out.

Thanks

Tom

These will work, size 3 or 4 should be about right

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/SPRO-Stainless-Split-Rings-SSTLSRN

Edited by Tim Bromund