power trim tilt repair person?

line guy

I have a 89 90hp evinrude that the power trim tilt is not working. Who works on these units? I have it off the motor, and I know puglesys on east side wants it back on motor and boat, and they work on apt only which they are about a week or more out and musky trip is planned. So is there anybody around that can repair this unit?

post-139918-0-08186700-1380651929_thumb.jpg

Might try Rick Marticello at Power Marine Service at 5310 North Road in Canandaigua.  Phone: 585-394-3590

Edited by Sk8man

Tested relays they r good. Good volts to motor. When in up or down mode motor seems to be not running at full rpm to run pistons.really don't want to get into all the check vavles and o-rings. Any dealt with mikes marine out past Webster on ridge.thanks for all the replies

Tested relays they r good. Good volts to motor. When in up or down mode motor seems to be not running at full rm to run pistons.really don't want to get into all the check vavles and o-rings. Any dealt with mikes marine out past Webster on ridge.thanks for all the replies

Probably the brushes are hung up in the holder from condensation over the years, especially since you mentioned it's not up to speed, or the brushes are gone, 2 other possibilities are bad armature or com end bushing is bad. If you hit on it with a hammer then you will need a new one, because the fields are magnets which shatter when you hit on the motor part of the trim unit.

I used a two way switch on the dash to replace the switch on the control handle of my 92 Evinrude 90 HP. The motor raised on the engine mounted switch so I determined it was the control head switch that failed. I just extended the wires from the control head to the dash mounted switch and put a couple pieces of tape marked up and down next to it.

I used a two way switch on the dash to replace the switch on the control handle of my 92 Evinrude 90 HP. The motor raised on the engine mounted switch so I determined it was the control head switch that failed. I just extended the wires from the control head to the dash mounted switch and put a couple pieces of tape marked up and down next to it.

We did that on Dave's boat now the trim works "same problem" but finds it hard to feed gas with one hand and steer with the other, now what do you use to run trim switch he says it should be on the floor so he can use a foot to operate the trim, I thought maybe a dimmer switch for the up when getting on plane once at run speed then you have a hand free again to operate trim switch.

Probably the brushes are hung up in the holder from condensation over the years, especially since you mentioned it's not up to speed, or the brushes are gone, 2 other possibilities are bad armature or com end bushing is bad. If you hit on it with a hammer then you will need a new one, because the fields are magnets which shatter when you hit on the motor part of the trim unit.

took the motor apart from pump and found the brushes to be stuck cleaned them up put back together and working good now. this is a great site for info on a lot of things we all come across. plus saved me a few$$$$. new musky lures for trip..??

took the motor apart from pump and found the brushes to be stuck cleaned them up put back together and working good now. this is a great site for info on a lot of things we all come across. plus saved me a few$$$$. new musky lures for trip..??

I'm glad it panned out for you, I'm self employed for over30 years now in the starter & alt. business and came across this a lot, I used to just clean them up Including the armature and put a new com end bushing in and charge the guys $20.00 and they were tickled pink, being a boat owner myself I know how expensive thing can get and the way others take advantage of you just is wrong. BOAT= (Break Out Another Thousand)